We love New York City and Fashion Week, but it’s always great to be back home! Here are my final thoughts on what we saw and experienced:
5 Strong Trends for Spring 2011
- Lots of citron, tomato red and bright purple.
- Beige and off white will be “the” neutrals of the season.
- Fun 70’s inspired design details will make their mark.
- It’s about contrasts: silhouettes are both form fitting and voluminous, hemlines are both long and short, fabrics are both soft and stiff, colours are both bright and muted.
- Move over dresses and skirts, pants reign supreme. Think wide leg trousers, palazzos, short shorts, skinny cargos and harem styles.
5 Things you probably didn’t know about Fashion Week
- The venue is surrounded by the NYPD.
- If people aren’t talking, taking pictures or watching a show, they are texting or tweeting about what they see. The thumb typing at Fashion Week is relentless!
- People aren’t generally chatty when they stand in line waiting to see a show.
- The security staff are amazing and their colourful personalities add a lot to the vibe of Fashion Week.
- There is free bottled water, coffee and protein shakes for Fashion Week attendees.
5 Favourite things about Fashion Week
- Shows: Edition Georges Chakra and Thuy.
- Show ensembles: George Chakra’s turquoise ombre gown and Carlos Miele’s short red cascading dress.
- What I Wore: LBD my way, and all the outfits I wore with jodhpur jeans.
- Meals: Cheese Plate at la Boite en Boir, the salmon sashimi at Donburi-ya, and all the gelato.
- Moments: Greg’s daily outfit comments, meeting up for the YLF gathering, sitting front row at the Thuy show, walking through sunny NYC with my sweetie in flat shoes.
We have listed the posts below If you missed some of the coverage and would like to catch up. Shows marked with an asterisk have special backgrounds — Fashion Week was a great opportunity to exploit the new chameleon feature and we were very happy with the results. We hope you enjoyed this fashion week as much as we did.
- Tadashi Shoji Brings the Renaissance to Fashion Week *
- EDITION Georges Chakra Does Not Disappoint *
- Summery and Sandy Ports 1961
- Mik Cire’s Edgy Menswear Collection
- Thuy: Fabulous in So Many Ways *
- Custo Barcelona was Fun, Fun, Fun!
- Carlos Miele’s Stunning Spring Collection *
- Monique Lhuillier’s Pretty Gowns
- Allison Parris: An Eco Friendly, Socially Responsible Collection
- Tibi’s Casual and Wearable Collection *
- Gottex Makes Swimsuits Shine at Fashion Week
- First Day of New York S/S Fashion Week
- Fashion Week Day 2: Black from Head to Toe
- Fashion Week Day 3: The Colour Fix
- Fashion Week Day 4: Casual Neutrals and a Bright Bag
- Fashion Week Day 5: Theatrical Comfort
- Fashion Week Day 6: The Lady in Red
- Fashion Week Day 7: LBD My Way