We’re halfway through 2019 and it’s time to check in on the style goals we set in January. I’ve had a smashing first half, I’m in a very happy place with my style, and I’ve added fewer items to my wardrobe than I did by this time in 2018.
Some of the trends are against me, so I haven’t found as many tops, pants and dresses that ticked off the boxes. My shopping strategy is to choose classics when the trends don’t work, which is exactly what I did with tops. I’m back in classic silk and cotton blouses, body-con knit tops, a shirt, and pullovers with polo collars — all of which I haven’t worn for ages as I favoured trendier styles. I’m thoroughly enjoying my new classic tops because they’ve changed things up, and layer well under jackets in arctic air conditioning
With an active urban walking lifestyle across four seasons, I’m even pickier about footwear comfort. I’ve added fewer pairs to my capsule than in previous years, and am wearing non-athletic and refined sneakers more frequently than I used to. Now that more styles of sneakers are available in narrow widths, they finally fit and are comfortable. This has made all the difference for my sneaker style. I’m also enjoying the duplicated footwear that has taken the place of the first worn out pairs.
These are the items that I’ve added to my wardrobe this year for Spring & Summer. Some of it will go straight into Fall & Winter:
On to my goals. I set twelve in January, and I’ve managed to reach most of them.
- Wear outfits that are Modern, Crisp, Retro, Soft and Dressy. Check.
- Prioritize quality. Check. My commitment to wearing beautifully constructed and finished items made of gorgeous fabrics that launder well is higher than ever. I haven’t been disappointed in fabric quality of my new purchases so far. Some items are more well made than others, but that’s okay. Thankfully nothing looks like schmutters after a couple of laundry cycles.
- Express my style through colour and my favourite patterns. Double Check! I like stripes, checks, polka dots and some florals best because I do not tire of these patterns. I added plenty of colour too. Happy colours and patterns make me happy.
- Continue adding elegant touches to my style. Check. I take elegance to heart, and try to style my daily look accordingly. For me, that means wearing longer hem lengths on skirts and dresses, soft and structured fluidity, dainty footwear, dressier attire, and adding the finishing touches that create polish, glam and shine.
- Sport my signature style despite the trends. Check. That means short blonde hair, statement eyewear and handbag, natural make-up, white pearls, white shoes, white jeans, structured outfits with lots of movement, lots of colour, high contrast, light neutrals, dark blue, flat footwear, a dressy appearance, and no nail polish.
- Add a pair of red pants, orange bottoms or dress, and a red Winter coat. Uh oh. I managed one pair of red jeans that became an instant workhorse, and that’s it. Hopefully I’ll do better in the second half of the year.
- Wear black in small doses. Check. Dark Blue is my black.
- Wear skirts and dresses more frequently year round. Check
- Wear casual and dressy trousers more frequently, and blue jeans less frequently. Check. I have worn blue jeans a LOT less frequently this year.
- Mix high-end and low-end items in one outfit. Check.
- Find wardrobe gems on my travels because they are unique and sentimental. Check.
- Have even MORE fun with fashion. Triple Check. It’s impossible for me not to have fun with fashion and style. It’s one of the least stressful parts of my life and very therapeutic. I relax into every wardrobe and style decision and don’t let it boss me around. I love my fab-for-me wardrobe and am grateful to have a closet brimming with items that spark tremendous joy.
I finished shopping for Spring and Summer by the end of May, which is right on track because I prefer to shop early in the season. All that’s left to do is wear the heck out of my stuff and repeat my favourite outfits. With the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale around the corner, I’m already thinking about my refreshed cold-weather style.