I’m right on schedule because today is officially the second day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. The list is shorter than it was last year because we’re keeping things strong and simple this season.
The list cuts across all body types, fashion personas and age groups. It’s a question of finding the right items, at the right prices, AND wearing them in flattering and appropriate ways so that they feel like lovely YOU. (I’m afraid that I can’t take the devil out of the details). Try to keep an open mind and don’t flat out say “no” to a look until you’ve at least given it a fair chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
- Flared Jeans: I’m making this a must! Flared jeans also means bootcuts, so no need to worry about bell bottoms, trouser cuts and wide legs if they aren’t your cup of tea. This is a season of contrasts. Flared legs, skinnies and straight legs are all on-trend.
- Soft blouses: It’s a blouse season, so add at least one soft blouse to your top collection as soon as possible. Think pussy bows, smocking, bat wings, empire cuts, embroidery, bell sleeves and neck ties in soft fabrications like rayon and cotton blends. Stock up if you’re a blousy gal.
- Fit and Flare Frock: Pencil skirts and figure hugging sheath dresses dominated the fashion world for a couple of seasons. Now add a bit of volume to your lower half and sport a flared dress.
- A Striped Item: There has got to be a stripe that tickles your fancy. Multi-coloured, low contrasting, high contrasting, narrow width, broad width, variegated, anything at all. Striped tees and knit tops are an easy solution, but there are also striped jackets, blouses, trousers, shorts, shoes, belts, headbands, hats and handbags.
- A new look pair of trousers: Think flared slacks, tapered and pleated styles, short shorts, harem pants, skinny cargos, cropped cargos and palazzos. I dare you.
- White stuff: Nothing says Spring and Summer quite like the colour white. Lighten up with white tops, bottoms, jackets, trench coats or dresses. Add in white accessories and footwear. Think handbags, shoes, watches, belts and sunglasses. Optical white is not your only choice if it doesn’t work for your complexion. Choose off-white, bone-white, or cream to substitute optical white.
- Sport the new colours: Citron yellow, tomato red, lavender purple, coral, emerald, cobalt, and turquoise are where it’s at with colours. Wear them together for a fresh colourblocked effect. If you’re colour shy, sport the hue through an accessory or shoe instead of a clothing item.
- Wedged Sandals: Even I can manage this one with my fussy feet. Cork wedges are casual, whereas self-fabric wedges are dressier. The heel can be either high or low.
- Low heels: Kitten heels are retro and fab with the slightly longer hemlines (both straight and flared) that are slowly but surely becoming more popular.
- Long pendant necklaces: It’s easy and inexpensive to add this one to your Spring and Summer style. Urban Outffters has a fabulous selection of quirky long pendant necklaces this season, which you can wear all through the year.
For the more adventurous and fashion forward there are: Midi skirts, pleated skirts, crop tops, floppy hats, crochet cardigans, mini crossbody bags, sharp shouldered jackets, gilets, animal prints (preferably cat prints), conversational prints, cut away backs, clogs, sling backs, small silk scarves, chain handle bags, tie-dye, fringe and flat oxfords.
I wouldn’t be doing my job if I left out strong seasonal trends like soul-sucking beige, casual maxi dresses, casual maxi skirts, and leg shortening cropped capri pants. But I’m hesitant to encourage these looks because in my book, they are very hard to wear well no matter what your body type or skin tone.
How does the list look ladies? What’s on your shopping list as the weather warms up?