January is a good time to think about your style goals. They’ll serve as a helpful frame of reference as you edit your closet, shop for new items, create outfits and evolve your style. And they will make your style journey more effective and enjoyable.
There are two approaches to setting style goals. The first is a fast, intuitive and incremental process, which works for those who have a good handle on their style and like their current style direction. The second requires a more time-consuming in-depth analysis of the internal and external factors that affect their style, and some soul searching. The longer process works well when you’re in a style rut, or entering a new chapter in your life.
Absolutely anything that relates to your style can go on the list. Style goals can be long or short, general or specific. Make a list in your head or write it down. Either way, remember that style goals should be flexible, so feel free to edit them at any time.
My style evolved quite a bit last year. I changed my aspirational style moniker to “Urban Pretty” because it became increasingly important for my outfits to feel structured, refined, polished and pretty. I feel more content about my style direction than ever, so I’m keeping my goals short and sweet.
Here they are:
1. To wear Simple outfits that are Modern, Crisp, Soft and Dressy. These are the five adjectives that I’ve chosen to describe my ideal style so they’ll be at the front of my mind throughout this leg of my style journey.
2. To continue exploring Modern Retro, because it’s currently my favourite fashion persona. I want to successfully marry it with my long-time favourite fashion personas Modern Classic and Trendy Fashionista.
3. To continue mixing high-end and low-end items in one outfit.
4. To continue experimenting with new-to-me colours because the wild cards colours I introduced into my wardrobe last year — sea foam and rust — worked very well and made me very happy.
5. To NOT purchase too many black wardrobe items because I only enjoy black in small doses.
6. To pair down my list of wardrobe essentials and add more fashion. This happened organically to my wardrobe last year, but this year I want to formalize it in my goals.
7. To wear skirts and dresses more frequently in the Spring and Summer. My spider veins are more pronounced with each passing year, but that really doesn’t matter. I’ve been blessed with a clean bill of health and I’ll showcase my bare legs with confidence.
8. To incorporate my pearl necklaces into some of my outfits. I never stopped loving my assortment of pearl necklaces and enjoyed looking at them daily in our walk-in closet. I used to wear them daily but stopped five years ago. It’s time to bring them back!
9. Budget permitting, I’d like to add another pair of specs and another watch to my style.
10. To have even MORE fun with fashion.
Over to you. Have you thought about your style goals for 2016? If so, please share them in the comments section. Begin with choosing three top priority goals if the process is overwhelming, and take it from there. Remember to be patient with your style and not to take it all too seriously. Laugh a lot and have fun along the way.