I am now ready to plan for 2016 and have been thinking about my style goals.

I purchased 24 items in 2015 (sunglasses, bags, footwear and clothes)....plus received a couple of gifted items (jacket, clutch purse) and added a small amount of jewelry. I updated my lingerie, nightwear and some sports gear in addition. In 2014 I added 23 items so this seems a good number to aim for within a broad budget. I spent $4 for the cheapest item and $300 for the most expensive.

In 2015 I added some statement pieces back to my wardrobe after in my first year with YLF of updating essentials. Two bold print dresses and metallic sneaker boots spring to mind. I also added two pairs of cropped pants that have become workhorses over summer. My wardrobe is in good shape and at a manageable size. I have created several FFBO outfits that have been super useful during busy periods.

I like wearing a mix of old and new pieces, and having a touch of boldness in my outfits.

How I define bold may be different to how others define it - either a statement print, or shoe, or piece of jewelry, or cut. I feel happier in outfits that have one statement piece in them, and I like to wear neutrals and colour. I don't feel like the best version of me when I wear all classics, or all quiet pieces. I am happy to repeat looks on a weekly or fortnightly basis.

While my summer wardrobe is in good shape for most occasions, my winter wardrobe needs development - our winter is not terribly cold, but it can be wet and bleak. I find colours harder to pick, items are more pricey, and I am less enthused.

• I need to invest in a mid weight dressy coat that will last me a long time. I have one coat which is vintage but it is not versatile, and aside from this only casual puffer/ski jacket/anorak. There were several times last year that my outerwear let me down. I may look at a heavier trench, or light weight wool coat.
  • My knitwear needs an update - I am down to 4 sweaters at the moment. Last year everything was grey, black or blush. I added one blush sweater (see pic) and while I enjoyed it, one is enough. I hope we get a better range of colours at retail this year.
  • I also want a long sleeve winter day dress - probably midi length. I have enjoyed having two great summer day dresses (see pic 2) and something similar for winter would be useful. I hope to be able to layer the dress with boots and a long sleeve merino for autumn.
  • While expensive, I am considering getting a tall pair of cognac boots. I like skirts or dresses and boots, and if purchased carefully I think they could be in my closet a long time.
  • I am going to experiment again with bootlegs or flares....it is time.

With my goal being to achieve everyday elegance I am still striving to improve my grooming with painted nails, tidier hair, and by wearing my jewelry more. I like an ease or naturalness to my looks both in clothing and in hair/makeup, but as I get older I feel the beachy casualness is tending more to scruffiness.

I don't stick to a colour palette precisely - I am pretty sure I am in the spring area somewhere. I am trying to avoid adding new grey pieces and wearing black judiciously.

I have added four inspiration pics. These women are all younger and smaller than me but you might get the idea. It is aspirational, but I like the mix of clean lines, simple boldness, and that the pics are almost timeless (some of these are several years old). I notice now they are all summer looks....

If you have read this far then thank you! What ideas do you have? What would you love to see me wear - or at least try on? Where should I be going with my colour palette? Where am I going wrong?

Thanks again to Angie for this wonderful forum and place to meet up.

This post has 6 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.