The short answer is YES! And by boots I mean booties, shooties, mid-calf boots and knee-high boots. When to stop wearing boots comes up on our forum every year, and each time I suggest the same thing: weather permitting and if you’re comfortable with the coverage, wear any style of boot year round. Gone are the days when there are cut off points that define when it is and when it isn’t stylish to wear boots.
In fact, mid-calf boots, booties and shooties have become as fashionable and on trend to wear in Spring and Summer as the quintessential sandal. Especially with shorts, short shorts and minis in warmer temperatures. Over the last few years, retailers have been selling women’s boots year round because there is a market for it. These are new stock Spring and Summer boots and not remnants of Winter collections on deep discount. Spring boots, and Summer boots for that matter, make sense for four important reasons, which I’ll recap here:
- Spring and Summers can be chilly, making boots a practical solution.
- Everyone has a different inner thermostat.
- Inside temperatures can be frigid.
- Boots are comfortable.
That said, there are ways to make outfits with boots look more Spring-like so that your style feels refreshed going from Winter into Spring.
- Wear boots with bare legs, or achieve the bare leg look with nude hose.
- Wear light coloured boots in shades of white, dove grey or taupe.
- Wear bright, pastel or metallic boots.
- Wear perforated styles, peep-toe boots, or boots with cutout detailing.
- Wear boots with white clothing, either on the top or bottom, or both.
- Wear booties with skirts and dresses that have shorter hemlines.
- Wear boots or booties with shorts.
Here in Seattle it’s cool enough to wear boots virtually year round. I end up doing so for nine months of the year. I wear light coloured, knee-high boots and booties in the Spring with trousers, jeans, skirts, long shorts and dresses to keep my feet warm and comfortable. I wear them with or without nude hose when exposing my legs. I try not to wear boots at all in June, July and August, just to change things up. But I often wish I were wearing them indoors in arctic air conditioning.
Over to you. Do you wear boots in the Spring?