There’s a lot of resistance to wide cropped pants, but I’m not giving up just yet. They can be the answer to a range of style needs, like wearing jeans less frequently, wearing pants casually, creating a silhouette that is neither body-con nor voluminous, and wearing comfortable shoes with trousers in a flattering way.
The way the black wide cropped pants are styled below is an easy casual look that can be worn by most. Combine wide cropped pants with a T-shirt, and finish off the look with sneakers and a cute bag. Add jewellery, eyewear and watch as desired. Comfortable, on trend, fresh and casual.
A few suggestions about the outfit proportions:
- Choose a T-shirt silhouette that works for you, which might mean a V-neck, scoop neck or boat neck, instead of a crew. Select your favourite sleeve length too.
- Keep the tee relatively short to visually lengthen the leg from the hips upward. Semi-tucking the tee is a great way to achieve a shorter length and add structure to the outfit.
- Keep the length of the pants as short as you see on the model, which is two to four inches above the ankle bone.
- Keep the silhouette of the pants narrower rather than wider if you prefer a streamlined silhouette.
- A white tee works well with white sneakers, but a low-contrast darker tee will accentuate the visual integrity of the outfit and offset horizontally cutting lines.
- Substitute the sneakers with flats like oxfords, d’Orsay flats, sandals or loafers if that’s more your cup of tea.
For my own version of this outfit, I’d wear a cropped white cotton pullover instead of a tee, white hi-tops or loafers instead of regular white sneakers, add a denim jacket and pearls, and throw in a bright bag.
I have a hunch that in many cases, it’s simply a question of getting used to seeing and wearing the shorter and wider pants silhouette. I bet more of you will be wearing wide cropped pants next season!