I like to evolve my style a little each year because it’s fun to keep those fashion feet moving. Even though my fashion plan for 2011 is loose, I’m making the following updates to my style, some of which are already in full swing:
- Wear more gold accessories and hardware: Check. I freely sport gold hardware and jewelry and would like to wear it more often.
- Regularly incorporate my late Mum’s jewelry into outfits: I’ve already worn some of Mum’s pieces and it feels fabulous to be connected to her in that way. I look forward to more jewelry connections with Mum.
- Wear my fringe off my forehead: Check. Started doing this last week with my new shorter do.
- Rock the right jumpsuit: I know, I know. I vowed I would never wear one again, but that’s what attending Fashion Week in all its glory will do to you. I am on Team Jumpsuit and guilty as charged.
- Add a sprinkling of 70’s flair: Yes! Long pendant medallions worn over turtle necks, pussy cat bow blouses with tweed bottoms, cravat style scarves with button downs, shaggy trims, leather coats and so much more. My late Mum’s 70’s style is a great inspiration to me at this point.
- Wear the odd bit of bright brown: Check. I have a great 70’s leather jacket and there is another one on the way. As long as I wear an orange-brown with bright colours, I will wear brown.
- Sport flared skirts: I’ve been on Team Pencil Skirt for years and it’s time I batted for the other side.
- Wear slouchy tapered trousers: I’ve been on the hunt for this item for 18 months. Hopefully I’ll find a pair that fit the bill this year.
- Occasionally join hubby Greg on Team Black: Last but not least, I’ll sport more head to toe black just because I love, love, love NYC — and my husband.
Still, I’m not giving up the looks that make my style “me”. Like: black, white and cream colour combinations, mod inspired outfits, retro pearls, sheath and sack dresses, button down shirts, billowing blouses, strong shouldered jackets, rugged biker looks, flat footwear, skinnies, cream shoes, and bright colours like tomato red, citron, apple green and rich turquoise.
To kick off the new year I’m joining Team Black for the day. I’m wearing black skinny Marc Jacobs jeans with flat over the knee Stuart Weitzman boots. On top I paired an Express black crossover V-neck sweater with new L.A.M.B jacket and scarf (both new items courtesy of Santa Greg). I like to break up the harshness of black against my face with a contrasting colour so the cream in the scarf and white sunglasses did the trick. Indoors, I swap out the white sunglasses for white specs to achieve the same contrasting effect. Bless Greg for saying that I look like a rock star in this outfit. I might enjoy batting for Team Black more than I thought.
We at YLF wish you a happy and healthy New Year, filled with loads of love and laughter. If you’re ready to talk about your imminent 2011 style evolution, I’d love to hear all about it.