Many of my clients have been into wearing peasant blouses with jeans and pencil skirts lately, which has surprised them and me. Clients are craving garment detail and putting some “pretty” back in their styles after five seasons of simple tomboy minimalism. With its gathers, neck-tie, eyelet detailing, lace and flounce, the ‘70s peasant blouse is satisfying the need for something new, and looks fresh. Looks nice and Summer-y too.
Peasant blouses used to look very voluminous. But alongside the ultra boxy and oversized silhouettes that are flooding the market, they’re looking surprisingly streamlined. It’s all relative, isn’t it.
Ditsy Floral Print Handkerchief Hem Blouse a few months ago as my version of the peasant blouse. I LOVE it. I’ve worn it a lot and reach for it often. It has a higher neckline, which works better for me than the V-necks and scoop necks on most of the peasant blouse styles.
Upscale sneakers that can be worn with just about any outfit are also a popular item with my clients at the moment. And some are wearing their peasant blouses with fashionable sneakers because these types of juxtapositions in 2016 are right on trend. I’ve added the ECCO Touch Modern Sneaker in metallic to my sneaker capsule because it’s streamlined and fits well without socks. I have a hard time fitting sneakers because they’re usually too wide and chunky for my narrow ankle and low volume feet, but this one is perfect. The thin laces tuck away easily, which is how I prefer to wear my sneakers. And the best part is that they look Modern Retro.
Here’s a selection of winning peasant blouses and sneakers. The blouses are breezy, feminine, Modern Retro, mostly V-neck, and very forgiving on the midsection. Some of the styles are shaped on the torso to showcase a little curve, which is quite refreshing. Pop a camisole under the blouse if it’s too breezy. Many of the styles are available in an assortment of colours so do take a look at the different options.
- Lace Inset Tank: A sleeveless tunic with inset ruffle. The top tank portion of the top fits quite closely to the body and the armholes aren't wide. A great layering piece too.
- Cold Shoulder Lace Top: Cold shoulders are an alluring yet covered alternative to sleeveless. Pretty lace and runs big.
- Print Knit Split Neck Top: A KNITTED peasant top is extra soft against the skin. The torso is shaped and the curved hemline adds structure. The neckline is not overly low either. Fun pattern placement. Good on a curvy hourglass.
- Chevron Print Split Neck Top: A KNITTED peasant top is extra soft against the skin and easy to launder. The torso is shaped and the curved hemline adds structure. The neckline stays put when you bend over. Good on a curvy hourglass. The chevron pattern is bold, so consider yourself warned.
- Floral Print Blouson Top: The banded bottom gives the peasant blouse a good amount of structure. Delicately shaped on the torso and good on a curvy figure. Works well with skirts.
- Print Split Neck Peasant Top (Regular & Petite): A good peasant blouse for a straighter figure with a shorter neck. Great drape despite its lack of structure.
- Cotton Eyelet Top: A pretty 100% cotton option. Works well with a white camisole if the holes are too much exposure. Might run a little big.
- 'Sienna' Blouse: Flirty Floral Cold Shoulder Fabness. A little '50s and just as trendy today. The sleeve ties are large and make quite a statement.
- 'Daybreak' Eyelet Dress: A dress that works well on Team Tall as a tunic. Glorious fabric and side entry pockets. Quite voluminous on the midsection. The ties on the sleeves are neat and subtle. Wearing a bra with the cut-out detailing is no problem. Runs big.
- Ecco Soft VII Sneaker: Extremely comfortable and well made leather sneakers with great arch support. Works on regular and high volume feet. A little wide on low volume feet. Very cushioning and stable. High quality, simple, clean cut and modern. Quite chunky too. Comes in a greyed white and a few other colours. Read the rave reviews.
- Ecco Soft VII Slip-On: A high quality floral slip-on sneaker with amazing comfort. Best on regular and high volume feet. A little wide on low volume feet. Quite chunky, but feels like you're walking on air. Read the rave reviews.
- 'F-Pop' Skate Slip-On (Women): A great slip-on style with a low wedge heel. Streamlined. Very comfortable. The brand usually works for wide feet, but this style runs a little narrower in the toe box.
- Clarks Glove Puppet: Easy perforated slip-ons that look sporty and crisp. Works on lower and higher volume feet, although inserting an insole is best for low volume feet. The white looks very bright on the feet so you have to be at peace with that. Comes in a few colours.
- Ecco Touch Modern Sneaker: Very comfortable, sleek, polished and Modern Retro. Enough arch support too. Excellent for low volume feet. The metallic looks a little dressier than the rest. The dainty laces fold away easily too. Might run a size big. Read the rave reviews.
- Isabella Sinclair Belia Peplum Top: A peplum blouse that works well on inverted triangles and curvy hourglasses. Delicate and different. Well worth the praise in the reviews.
- ALL BLACK All Black Beyond Slip-On Sneakers: A sassy pointy toe slip-on that's moderately comfortable. Fun pattern and foot lengthening.
- Ecco Bluma Summer Sneaker: A very comfortable classic. Good arch support. Good for low and high volume feet. The dainty laces fold away easily. As cute in the other colours. Read the rave reviews.
- Silk Off the Shoulder Peasant Top: '70s Gypsy Chic, and selling like hot cakes because it's comfortable and looks fresh. Runs big.
- Tie Neck Peasant Blouse (Regular & Petite): A semi-fitted peasant blouse at a great price. Good on petites. Love the back yoke and gather detailing.
- Eyelet Lace Yoke Top: Casually elegant and pretty. A bra and camisole works with the cut-out detailing. Might run small.
- Print V-Neck Top: A great blouse for Team Tall. I vote teal pattern best. The bodice drapes quite closely to the body which provides a nice bit of structure. Looks best UN-tucked, and not like the photo. Might run a little big.
- Boden Broderie Top: The flutter sleeves are adorable and look good on sloping shoulders. A streamlined fit on apple shaped body types. Great in both the blue and white. Runs a size small.
- 'Joan' Cotton Peasant Blouse: Flouncy Fabness for Team Tall. Great length and drape. Runs big.
- Clarks Glick Resseta: Extremely comfy sneaker-oxford hybrid. Great on higher volume feet. Fun to wear with skirts and dresses, as well as jeans.
- 'Yael' Soft-Air Sneaker (Women): An extremely comfortable fashion sneaker for low AND high volume feet. Supportive and quite streamlined for a chunkier style. Looks best in the black & white, metallic white and silver.
Browse the collection page to see the items alongside my descriptions.