‘Tis the season for dresses and skirts now that the weather is warming up, and there’s a nice assortment in stores at the moment. Casual, dressy, subtle, dramatic, sleek, flared, solid and patterned, bright or neutral. Finally, we have some length and coverage in substantial fabrics so that the pieces are work appropriate.
Many of these styles were winners on my clients over the last few weeks. Be sure to browse through the colour options.
- J.Crew Colorful jacquard striped skirt: A fun striped skirt that's best on narrower hips. Not good on a curvy bottom half.
- J.Crew Paneled geometric jacquard pencil skirt: The insets and rounded corners of the hems at the side seams make the silhouette of this skirt quite unique. The positive and negative pattern mixing is fun and slimming. Works best on a straighter figure.
- J.Crew Tweed pencil skirt with fringe: Chanel-esque and great as a Summer office piece. Best on a narrower hip or moderately curvy bottom half. Has a matching jacket and comes in ink blue too.
- White House Black Market Floral Print Full Skirt: Swooshy Fabness. Looks good on both a straighter and curvier figure.
- White House Black Market Colorblock Pencil Skirt: The colour blocking is sharp. Draws attention to great gams. Works well on petites.
- White House Black Market Bateau Fit-and-Flare Dress: Best office and dressier black frock I've seen all year. An excellent substitute for a black sheath dress. The sleek, fit & flare silhouette is wildly refreshing and very elegant. Fabulous side entry pockets. Amazing vertical panelling. Gorgeous with pearls. Plenty of length for tall gals. Can be dressed up or down. Chic.
- White House Black Market Printed Chiffon Fit-and-Flare Dress: A pretty halter neck for those with long necks, small bust lines, and a defined waist.
- White House Black Market Diagonal Stripe Sheath Dress: A knitted sheath that's very comfortable. The diagonal lines do a magical job of straightening curves AND accentuating them, depending on your preference.
- White House Black Market Drape Knit Midi Dress: The best casual black dress I've seen all year. It's knitted, flattering and wildly comfortable. The diagonal ruching and hemline detailing are genius, and add a lot to the dress. My size 12 client looked stunning in the frock, and will be dressing it up or down for smart and relaxed settings.
- White House Black Market Sleeveless Ruffle-Front Dress: A romantic number for shorter necks and larger bust lines. Nice architectural ruffle.
- A-Line Knit Midi Skirt (Regular & Petite): The photo does not do this cute casual skirt justice because it's adorable. The diagonal stripes are interesting and slimming. Works really well on a curvier hip. Very comfy.
- Banana Republic Gerber Daisy Midi Skirt: A happy floral midi for Team Small Waistline. It's linen, so you have to be at peace with the crease. Fab side entry pockets.
- Nanette Lepore Nomad Linen Blend Skirt: This pencil skirt is extra gorgeous, and you cannot see the beautiful and creative asymmetrical seamed detailing in the photo. Stunning quality. My curvy client took my breath away in this skirt.
- COS Denim look shirt dress: Denim Sack Dress Fabness. Size down.
- White House Black Market Diagonal Colorblock Sheath Dress: The clever colour blocking on this sheath gives the body a very streamlined look. Works well on curves and straighter figures with a somewhat defined waist.
- Double Face Reversible Midi Skirt: A reversible trumpet skirt that will accentuate an already curvy figure. Body-con.
- Pointelle Knit Trumpet Skirt: A very dramatic, streamlined trumpet skirt. Romantic and Latin. Body-con.
- 'Farrel' Midi Pencil Skirt: Tomato red lace that does not look Burlesque. Very pretty.
- 'The Long Engagement' Midi Skirt (Regular & Petite): A breezy linen skirt that might run big.
- 'Carolee' Pleated Midi Skirt: A dressy, flared midi with a front floral and back stripe. Very bold. Runs small.
- Boden Felicity Skirt: A vertical multi-coloured stripe looks fresh and Summer-y. Works quite well on a curvier figure, and is great on a straighter figure. Runs a size small.
- COS Fold-over denim skirt: An architectural skirt that looks great on a long waist and straight body type. Not good on a short waist.
- Express High Waisted Button Front Denim Pencil Skirt: A retro button-through denim skirt for a curvy body type. Runs small.
- Club Monaco Sonti Silk Shirt Dress: A soft shirt dress that looks best on a boyish body. Quite short. Well made.
- J.Crew Long-sleeve tweed dress with fringe: A stunning sleeved sheath dress that's slightly A-line on the hip. Knee-length on regular height gals. The reviews suggest it runs small, but I think it runs a size big. It's gorgeously tailored and fully lined. Best on straighter body types with narrow shoulders and a regular size bust. It's NOT extra comfy in the torso because it doesn't have stretch, but the comfortable A-line skirt portion of the dress makes up for that. Streamlined and very proper, although you'll successfully relax the look with a denim jacket
- Asymmetrical Jersey Dress: A tried-and-tested handkerchief midi dress that works on just about any body top. Soft, arty and runs big.
- 'Rayne' Floral Print Georgette Midi Dress: A nod to '70s fashion with a bell-sleeved floral print frock. Best on a curvy figure. It's a lot of dress so consider yourself warned. Flouncy and romantic.
You can see the products alongside my descriptions on the collection page.