With party season around the corner, here are some dresses to get you started because it’s never too soon to start looking for the right frock. Some of the pieces come in more than one colour, so be sure to browse through the options.
- London Times Print V-Neck Fit & Flare Dress (Plus Size): A flattering style for a tall and curvy lady. I like how the scale of the pattern changes from top to bottom. It's comfortable with plenty of length. Swishy and feminine.
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Floral Print Drape Neck Matte Jersey Dress (Plus Size): A good fit on a curvy lass with a smaller bust because of the cut line under the cowl neckline. This cut line tends to not work with a larger bust. Fun to sport a dark floral in Winter, as an optimistic nod to Spring.
- Adrianna Papell Lace Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite): A little black dress that isn't so black. Fairly timeless and beautifully tailored. The lace has an interesting pattern and isn't scatchy. Read the rave reviews.
- Trina Turk 'Arcy' Print Ponte Shift Dress: The pattern looks darker in person, and isn't quite as purple. It's extra cute from the side because the hems curve at the vents. Not suited to a curvy bottom half at all. Best on an inverted triangle or apple shaped body type. Good for petites.
- Cynthia Steffe Bow Back Lace Shift Dress: A '60s inspired shift with a pretty back sash neck-tie. I love this dress. It's roomy, retro and very fun. Curvy figures can wear this dress if you don't mind surrendering the waist. Great on a narrower hip too. I did find it a little short which is why it did not follow me home. It's very soft despite the all-over lace. The colour is mesmerizing.
- Tadashi Shoji Lace Overlay Dress: This dress is magical. I LOVE the flouncy bottom and the way it moves as you stride. The cut is very fresh amidst a sea of fitted sheaths. It's Retro Classic at its best, and awfully romantic. It's a little scratchy at first, but not bad at all. You kind of get used to the fabric texture against your skin after a few minutes (and I have very fussy skin). It's fab in black, but I vote ink all the way. Extra special. Well worth the rave reviews.
- ELOQUII Colorblock Body-Con Dress (Plus Size): I haven't seen this dress in person, but it looks gorgeous. The position of the colour blocking is slimming and the length looks good too.
- Maggy London Lace Appliqué Floral Print Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite): Elegant, a little baroque and retro, and very flattering. I love the scalloped lace trim and moody floral pattern. Also available in petites. Runs small. More rave reviews.
- Marina Embellished Three Quarter Sleeve Lace Dress (Plus Size): A fabulous fit on a curvy body. Soft, stretchy and comfortable, but not clingy. The colours are especially fun.
To my eye, the sleeveless fitted dress is a true classic, but somehow it doesn’t seem to look quite as current as a sheath with sleeves. As odd as it may sound, there is something about a dress with three quarter or longer sleeves that feels more fashionable and fresh right now. And definitely more practical for cooler temperatures.