The all-in-one piece has its advantages and disadvantages.
- It’s an easy pull-on-and go item that requires minimal styling effort.
- You’re covered when you bend over, and don’t need to fuss with keeping tops tucked into bottoms.
- It’s a fun look that is as Modern as it is Retro.
- It’s impractical when nature calls.
- It can look overly matchy-matchy because the top is often in the same fabric as the bottom.
- It’s sometimes perceived as juvenile.
I wore jumpsuits as a child and teen in the ‘70s and ‘80s. I loved them then, but didn’t feel the same love when they became fashionable again several years ago. I thought they were fun, retro and glam but was not prepared to put up with the inconvenience when I needed the loo.
But I have warmed to the idea. The look is so fabulous that I might be prepared to put up with the inconvenience. So for the last couple of years I’ve been keeping my eye out. I’ve been looking for one in thicker fabric that has a collar, sleeves, tapered pant hems, and is dressy. So far, I’ve only found casual versions of that style, so perhaps I’ll relax that requirement and make 2015 my year for the casual jumpsuit.
Over to you. Have you invited jumpsuits and rompers back into your wardrobes, or are you a nay forever?