Fall collections are in stores and I couldn’t be happier about it because Autumn is my favourite season. Living in Seattle, we have nine months of what I think is cold weather, which makes the next four months the most important shopping period of the year. I’m excited to put together my flexible Fall shopping list, which includes items to fill wardrobe holes, new trends and replenishment items. I’m sure there will also be a few unexpected delights along the way.
After kickstarting my cold weather wardrobe with five pieces from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, this is what I have on my list so far:
- Pink Wool Coat: This was the first item on my list after Celine’s 2013 Fall Collection in Feb. I bat for Team Pink, and am happy to go either powder pink, bubblegum pink, or bright shocking pink for my next colourful Winter coat. We need bright coats in our forever grey climate so this is a must. I’m not sure whether I want a trendy oversized cut, or a ladylike tailored silhouette. Either way, it’s going to be fun mixing pink with black, white, grey and tomato red.
- Round Shouldered Top or Topper: This interesting shape of sleeve and shoulder line is huge on runway shows, but it’s still fringe at retail. And the prices of these items are high because of the current exclusivity. I’m not sure I want to spend lots of pennies on this trend just yet, but we will see how the season shapes up.
- Long Sleeved Wool Sheath Dress: Apparently knee-length sheath dresses with long sleeves are trending for Winter. If that’s the case, I am so in if the fabrication has a warm handle (i.e. feels “Wintery”). I’m also in if it’s a two-piece dress because I love that trend too.
- Ink Blue Trousers: They must be wool, full length, fluid, and tapered at the hems to combat nasty weather. I think I just found them at Theory, and want to wear these with lots of black and white.
- Fitted Turtlenecks: This wardrobe essential needs seasonal replenishment because I wear my turtlenecks into the ground. I need one in ink blue and another in Winter White. Possibly cashmere, but merino wool will work just as well.
- Dark Blue Handbag: I just passed on my ink blue snake skin bag with shiny hardware so this is a wardrobe hole. I want a dark blue bag with minimal hardware and in a very modern shape to complement my black tops and toppers.
- Flat White Beatle Booties: A gal has to have an impractical pair of flat white booties to stay sane and make her smile during our long rainy season.
- Heeled Black Booties: These must be high-shine, low heeled, dressy, sleek and with a fairly pointy toe.
- Dressy Knee-High Boots: I’ll take any colour at this point, except dark brown. It’s really hard to find dressy boots with a low heel that are comfortable and fit my 13 inch calves. I’m willing to pay a pretty penny for them if only there were options to choose from. This remains a highly elusive item, so thank goodness I have a pair of tall black patent boots in their eighth year that I can wear into another season.
I’m always in the market for warm and fun knitwear, but don’t have specific styles in mind other than simple turtlenecks. I’m also toying with the idea of a patterned pencil skirt, patterned trousers, solid wool trousers, embossed straight leg jeans, a red leather jacket, and a short woolly jacket (as long as the weights are warm and don’t feel like Summer pieces). I am not on the market for casual footwear, blouses, shirts, basic jeans, scarves or underwear because I am more than covered in those departments.
As far as colours go, for neutrals, I’ll continue with my black and shades of white theme, while adding in more ink blue. I love my usual brights like citron, tomato red, shocking pink, and bright turquoise, but I’ve also enjoyed adding shades of blue to my wardrobe, from light pastels to French blue and cobalt. And then there’s the blush capsule that keeps on growing. Heck wouldn’t it be nice to have a pair of blush pink wool trousers to pair with my leather jacket? Maybe those will miraculously find me too.
Over to you. What’s on your Fall and Winter shopping list?