A basic layering top allows a topper to shine. The topper could be a jacket, vest, dress, item of knitwear, or even just a statement scarf or necklace. In some cases, great layering tops fit and look so good that you can wear them on their own, often as a simple complement to a more elaborate bottom.
I don’t know why it’s hard to find a great layering top, but it seems that although stores are full of them, many aren’t quite right. They are too boxy, too clingy, too short, too long, too itchy, or the neckline and fabrication are wrong.
This season, my clients and I have liked the styles below. They range from casual to dressy, so they will work for a variety of lifestyles. Remember to click through all the colour options.
- Ann Taylor Turtleneck Sweater: The length is great so tall girls take note. Dressy, luxurious, and not at all itchy.
- Ann Taylor Cotton Long Sleeve Tee: This tee is thick and substantial, and it isn’t clingy. Another style with great length for tall and curvy gals. One of the best long sleeved tees around at the moment.
- Banana Republic Shawl-Collar Vee: Amazing under a blazer! The shawl collar looks brilliant. It’s super soft and feels as comfy as pajamas.
- Banana Republic Shirred Velvet-Trim Tee: This one is more casual but the shirred neck is a pretty detail under a lower cut jacket or un-buttoned cardigan.
- Banana Republic Long-Sleeve Timeless Tee: It is basic, but fits pretty well, especially on a curvy body type.
- Banana Republic Essential Turtleneck Sweater: Another non-itchy turtleneck with a great contoured shape sans the cling.
- Banana Republic Sequin-Pocket Top: Chic and retro. It was a little itchy for me, but I’m very sensitive to that type of thing. My clients didn’t have a problem with the itch-factor.
- Gap Tri-Blend Slub Tee: Soft, cozy and uber relaxed. It looks good on both straight and curvy body types. I really like the subtle slub in the fabric.
- J. Crew Perfect-fit Long-Sleeve Tee: This tee runs small, but it’s very comfy. Good fitted shape and tidy neckline.
- Caslon Perfect Long Sleeve Crewneck Tee: This is probably the most popular layering tee amongst my clients because it’s stretchy but does not cling, and it also retains it’s shape over time. Very soft.
- Caslon Scoop Neck Tee: This tee is excellent for a fuller bust. I like the broad binding around the neckline.
- Sejour Three Quarter Sleeve Tee (Plus): The V-neck is flattering, as is the fit around the torso. Read the rave reviews.
- INC Long Sleeve Ribbed Turtleneck: I was wearing this turtle neck with baggy pleated trousers in last week’s outfit post. It’s super soft and has a lovely raglan sleeve. It runs small so you might need to size up, and it also might be too short for tall gals.
These are the basic knitted layering options. Of course, there are also woven options that you should consider, like a simple white or denim button down shirt.
If you’ve found great layering tops this season, feel free to add them to the list by making a comment.