The fashion industry has finally recognized our right to cover arms. It’s not that we don’t enjoy sleeveless dresses, but enough with the perpetual cardigan-cover-up. We want to wear Autumn and Winter dresses sans the extra indoor layers.
Frocks with longer sleeves and hem lengths are abundant. Here are my top picks so far this season. I have fitted most of these dresses on women’s bodies and have been very pleased with the results.
- Jones New York Short Sleeve Leaf Printed Dress: The colours are unexpectedly divine, the ruching flattering, and the length of the sleeves sublime. This is an ideal midi length for petites, and a super just-above-the-knee length for regular and taller gals.
- Jones New York Shirred-Side Sheath Dress: An alluring yet covered LBD is a good idea, and this one fits the bill. Easy to pack and comfy to wear.
- Nine West Faux Wrap Jersey Dress: The jewel tones are delightful as is the abstract print. The front drapes in a unique way that I have not seen before on a faux wrap dress. It’s also available in petites at Macys.
- Vince Camuto Ruched Animal Print Scrunch Neck Dress: It’s form fitting so don’t be alarmed. It accentuates the curves on a curvy gal, and creates curves on a straighter gal. Super fab over ankle length leggings and booties too.
- Donna Morgan Belted Stretch Jersey Dress: Love the raspberry colour and the spot on trend pleats and dolman sleeves. The wide belt can be swapped out for a narrower one, and it’s also available in petites.
- Eliza J Ponte Knit Shift Dress: Mod meets ’80s fun. It’s especially great on petites and super flattering on pear shaped gals. The substantial fabric is just what we need on a chilly day. It’s excellent over skinnies and leggings if the hemline is too short. Also comes in a deep purple and plus sizes.
- Maggy London Colorblock Ponte Knit Dress: This dress is wow on an hourglass who fills out the silhouette. Love the modern ’80s take on this statement style.
- Calvin Klein Print Faux Wrap Dress: This is a glam yet earthy ’70s dress with a delicious abstract pattern. Think of it with chestnut wedge boots, a faux fur vest and pendant necklace. Also available in plus sizes.
- Suzi Chin for Maggy Boutique Faux Wrap Jersey Dress: A modern incarnation of ’40s movie star magic. Impeccable drape. Read the rave reviews and click through the colour options.
- Eliza J Tie Neck Chiffon Dress: I adore the elegance of this hip dress. Add a wide belt to the smocked waistband, and anything from cage heels and platform pumps, to stacked knee-high boots and booties for your feet.
- Tracy Reese Ruched Dress: This Autumn midi dress silhouette is a personal favourite because it’s super straight, high-necked, and long sleeved. I LOVE the pattern. It creeps up when walking at a fast pace, but stride a little slower and it stays in position.
- ASOS Midi Dress in Embroidered Lurex: Beautifully ’70s in the very best way. Layer over a faux fur waistcoat and watch those heads turn.
- Karen Kane Animal Wrap Top Dress: This frock is as comfy as sweats. It both hides and accentuates curves depending on your preference. Super animal print.
- Ralph Lauren V-neck Sweater Dress: Another elegant take on a ’70s inspired style. This was a longish midi length on my stunning petite client. It’s super fab on the knee for gals with gams too. The most perfect sleeve length ever.
- Presley Skye ‘Lindsay’ Silk Crepe de Chîne Dress: This is a very on-trend dress and I am in love with the look. It’s fab with a skinny belt and high heeled stacked pumps for classic gals. And wonderfully edgy with socks in sandals for cutting edge gals.
It’s important to think laterally about how to style these dresses as you browse the links because the possibilities are endless. First: you can dress them both up or down. Second: footwear, jewelry, handbags, headgear, hosiery and your hairstyle go a long way to define the ultimate vibe of the outfit, be it modern classic, retro, romantic, edgy or fashion forward. I can’t stress this point enough – it’s HOW you style an item that makes the difference.