Photos by Andrew Walker and Stephen Lovekin for Getty Images.
Over the last week I’ve watched live coverage of more than 40 Fashion Week shows and it’s been quite the marathon! When you watch lots of shows in a short space of time, the dominant trends jump out right away. Here they are for Autumn and Winter 2011:
- Black and cream outfit combinations: At last year’s Fall runway collections olive green, camel and grey reigned supreme. Things have changed.
- Red: Bright and tomato red were hot but many shades of red were represented.
- Cobalt Blue, Fuchsia and Emerald Green: Either in solid items or as trims. Purple takes a back seat.
- Longer hemlines: This is the trend I am most happy about. Welcome back midi skirts and dresses. Lots of maxi skirts and dresses in the pipeline too.
- Subtle 70’s influences: Expect dainty ruffled collars, bowed necklines and bohemian influences.
- Lace: Black lace comes through every season, but lace patterned clothing is new.
- A-line and flowing skirts: Pencil skirts take a back seat.
- Asymmetry: The fronts of dresses, tunics and tops are shorter than their backs.
- Front vents on skirts and dresses: This looks great on the runway, but it’s not that practical.
- Tapered trouser legs: Flares are popular for Spring and they’ll stick around for a while. But Autumn and Winter dressing is all about tapered trouser and denim silhouettes.
- Colour blocking: Both in low and high colour contrasts on blouses, tops, skirts, dresses, trousers and jackets.
- Sharp shoulders: Shoulder pads aren’t going anywhere, but not to worry if it’s not your thing. Soft shoulder dressing is also big.
- High necklines: Turtlenecks, funnel necks, crew necks and peter pan collars.
- Chain strap handbags and clutches: Still the most popular bags on the runway.
Of course, these trends will filter down to retail in many different variations – that in itself is fascinating to me. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in July kicks off the new Autumn season here in the US and I’m already looking forward to it.
Although I saw many shows, I only posted about the ones that I absolutely loved. Jason Wu still holds top position because my own style is very inspired by his collection. But all of the killer shows listed below run a close second:
- Wow, Jason Wu
- Jill Stuart’s Playful Simplicity
- Prabal Gurung’s Urban Romance
- NYFW: Rag & Bone’s Eccentric Hybrids
- DKNY’s Modern Magic
- The Marc Jacobs Polka Dot Parade
There were many shows that I enjoyed, like Carolina Herrera, Michael Kors, Donna Karan, Thakoon, Anna Sui, Betsey Johnson, Carlos Miele, Vera Wang, Nicole Miller and BCBGMAXAZRIA. Which were your favourite Fall 2011 fashion shows and which trends are you most excited about?
Finally, you might remember that Greg talked to photographer Andrew Walker during September fashion week and showed a few of his shots. Well, Getty Images were kind enough to share a few more of his shots this time round, and one from Stephen Lovekin too. Enjoy, and please click the the photos to see fullsize versions — they’re worth it!
Fergie in the audience at Diane Von Furstenberg (Stephen Lovekin for Getty Images)
Theatrics at the Betsey Johnson show (Andrew Walker for Getty Images)
Mercedes Benz Fashion Week at Lincoln Center (Andrew Walker for Getty Images)