Make an outfit instantly look and feel more Summery by adding white. It freshens things up, especially when contrasted with a bright or dark colour like black, navy, chocolate brown or grey. The effect is often eye-catching, which is why white acts like a bright, even though it’s a neutral.
Think of incorporating the following white items into ensembles as temperatures rise:
- White tops: They often need a camisole to make them look whiter and less see-through which is not ideal in sweltering weather, but it’s worth it if you’re in air conditioning. A white top accessorized with texture and contrast is flop proof.
- White bottoms: I’m a huge fan of white jeans, clamdiggers, pants and skirts. They are the perfect bridging piece as they make existing wardrobe items (like black tops) feel seasonally right. White bottoms do not make you look fat if the fit and fabric is fab.
- White camisoles: Where you would have opted for a black camisole, try using a white one instead. You’ll be surprised at how this one change can make a big difference.
- White outer layer: Consider white lightweight jackets, denim jackets or cardigans if you need a second layer. In order to prevent “the lab coat” effect, choose jackets with a contrasting button in black or a metal.
- White handbags and shoes: If you don’t like to wear white clothing, sport the colour through handbags and shoes instead. It packs instant punch.
- White accessories: Think white chunky beads, pendant, bracelet, watch, belt, earrings, specs and sunglasses when you’re adding Summer accessories to your look.
If you don’t like to wear optical white, choose a variation like off-white or cream. They work just as well. Also, you don’t need to be tanned to wear white next to your skin. I’m pale skinned and somehow wear white well. If you’re still not convinced, use it as a layering vehicle instead.
I’ve adored all things white and cream since I was little. There is something magically clean, crisp, sophisticated and cool about this neutral, which is why it holds a special place in my heart. Most of the time white is my black. I do lots of laundry because of my impractical obsession with white things, but it’s worth it.