Shapewear helps to flatten out our bodily lumps and bumps, and is effective for special occasions when we want to look our very best. But shapewear is also too hot, uncomfortable and time consuming to wear every day. Your alternative is to dress in ways that camouflage the “extra bits” around the midsection.
- Wear higher rise pants, jeans and skirts: This is probably one of the best ways to feel girdled and comfortable. Most of the time, the idea is that you wear tops over bottoms with higher rises, but sometimes you’ll get away with tucking a top into a high rise skirt and look quite svelte.
- Wear a camisole: This offers a similar effect to shapewear with ten times the comfort.
- Layer your clothing: It’s easy to conceal a midsection by layering a structured jacket, waistcoat or cardigan over a top because it draws attention away from the midriff. This strategy does require cooler weather, but it’s hands down the most effective.
- Look for prints and texture: They have better “camouflaging capabilities” than tops with solid colours.
- Select ruched tops: The effect of the folds is forgiving.
- Select items that float away from the waistline: Think empire cuts (with or without gathers), banded tops and subtle trapeze silhouettes. Volume in the right place can be your friend.
- Opt for woven tops: The rigidity of form fitting garments made of woven fabric will skim the contour of your body instead of clinging to it like jersey knit does.
- Wear knitwear: Look for cotton, viscose and merino wool blends in fine gauge knitwear. Their thicker texture is less clingy than drapey jersey knit and therefore more flattering.
- Wear dresses: Most fit-and-flares, some empire cuts, trapeze frocks and dresses with front and side ruching can work wonders to smooth out your silhouette, especially if printed.
- Stand tall and be proud of your style: Good posture and confidence makes all clothing look better.
Do you have other strategies to share? Shapeless caftans and huge Muumuus don’t count. We want to see your cute shape in clothing.
Fit and flare dress layered with a cardigan, empire cut knitted mesh top and woven trapeze style blouse.
Knitted A-line voluminous top, ruched knitted mesh top and woven banded blouse.