Retailers in the northern hemisphere will be full of Spring merchandise in less than six weeks. It’s hard to get our minds around that fact when there’s still snow on the ground, but that’s the way the crazy retail cycle works. Here are the trends that I expect to see in stores over the next 6 months:
- Strong 80’s flair: I’m all for it.
- Prints: Butterflies and pastel florals.
- Maxi dresses: You know how I feel about this trend.
- Suits: Makes for a nice change. This is the year of the pastel suit.
- Cropped military jackets: Fabulous. I love military inspired items. Does anyone remember the Sergeant Pepper jacket?
- Floppy pants and baggy bottoms: I doubt harem pants will take off, but we’ve seen wide-legged pants make a comeback. I’m curious as to how this trend will be received.
- Zipper accents: The “tough girl” rock-chic vibe is hanging around. Another trend that I adore.
- Rompers and jumpsuits: They were fringe fashion last year and I hope they stay that way.
- Single shouldered tops: Interesting.
- The exposed midriff: I’m staying covered up.
- More fringing: A little bohemian flavour is fine.
- Daytime sparkle: We’ve already seen this trend come through. I wear my metallic poloneck during the day, dressed down with faded jeans and casual boots and it makes for a fun look.
- Bikinis: I’m sticking to a one-piece.
- More gladiators: Both flat and stacked. Love the trend but can’t wear the shoe. Oh well. I’ve come to expect footwear seasons with a limited assortment of wearable possibilities.
- Accessories: Oversized necklaces, pastel handbags and footwear, stacked bracelets and cocktail rings.
- Hair: Center partings.
The colors will be ice-cream tones:
- Brights: Turquoise, yellow, apple green and fuchsia
- Pastels: Blush, peach, light blue, aqua and lilac
- Neutrals: head-to-toe black and nude, nude, nude
Each new season brings with it a sense of excitement. As always, I’m chomping at the bit to share our feelings about what’s out there. So far, it’s the military influences, the zipper accents and colours like apple green and turquoise that excite me the most. Trends like maxi dresses, jumpsuits and bare mid riffs excite me the least. What’s your take on these trends?
The mood of Spring 2009’s colour palette. Yummy.