This week’s roundup is for neutral lovers with trendy touches of ‘90s tan and stone. There’s a lot of blue in stores and not nearly as much grey, which is spot on for Spring and Summer trends. I also see cobalt coming through, which is a less neutral blue and not as quiet, but gorgeous with black and white.
The brand Tommy Hilfiger is making a comeback as I see it appear in retailers who haven’t stocked it for years. Banana Republic is looking better than ever thanks to a new design director and merchandising management. I’m impressed with their commitment to sustainability, wearable design, fit, a more diverse size assortment, and all round better quality and service. They’re getting a larger chunk of my fashion budget because the quality, fit, silhouettes and colours are working well for this leg of my style journey.
On to the items.
- Tommy Hilfiger Stripe Long Sleeve Tie Front Top: If you like tailored tees with pizzazz, try this. The front tie detail is unique, not bulky, and you don't need to tuck the top for structure. The clever placement of the directions of the stripes is flattering on most body types.
- Tommy Hilfiger Slim Fit Plaid Cotton Double Breasted Blazer: Tommy Hilfiger blazers are beautifully made, look a lot like a Veronica Beard but cost a fraction of the price. Here's a Spring and Summer check that is gorgeous with white, olive and blue. Nice over dresses too. Best on a small or regular size bust.
- Tommy Hilfiger Lawn Stripe Button-Up Shirt: An interesting vertically striped shirt in nice fabric. Fluid and fab drape. Works well semi-tucked. Lovely turn-back detailing on the sleeves, and I think nicest in the light neutrals.
- Tommy Hilfiger Polka Dot Long Sleeve Peplum Top: A romantic blouse that works best on those who can fill it out. The blouson waist is more flattering that you expect. Comes in light neutrals.
- Reiss Pixie Pleat Back Trench Coat: Check out the back of this trench coat. Unique, beltless, excellent versatile length, and almost sold out. Beautifully made. The fluid fit works on a range of body types.
- Reiss Jean Pleated Floral Long Sleeve Blouse: I can't believe they styled this gorgeous blouse tucked because it's trapeze in silhouette with beautiful back knife pleats. It's supposed to be worn UNTUCKED and drapes like a dream. Beautifully made and gorgeous fabric. Sensually modest.
- Reiss Archie Leather Crossbody Bag: A crossbody with a handy front pocket for your phone. Lovely quality.
- Club Monaco Jessyn Pleated Chiffon Pants: Hello '90s palazzos! Fun swoosh factor. These look great with a short or long welted pullover or knit top. Or a short boxy top. I prefer them with dressy flats or sneakers.
- Banana Republic JAPAN EXCLUSIVE Poplin Ruffle T-Shirt: A great little avant-garde knit top for Team Earth Tones that works well on a smaller bust. Lovely fabric.
- Club Monaco Cavalry Twill Cuffed Pants: A nice cuffed nod to the '90s that works well on both a straighter and curvier figure. Lovely thick fabric, beautifully made, and very earthy. The toffee is less orange in person. Length is quite long.
- Banana Republic Snake Print Lightweight Rectangular Scarf: Safari Scarf Fabness. Very lightweight and works well creased.
- BAUM UND PFERDGARTEN Jodi Print Turtleneck: If you like to wear mesh tops, try this one - although you'll need to like turtlenecks too. Lovely fit and quality, and not too clingy. Needs a camisole unless the bra is a showpiece.
- Eileen Fisher Classic Collar Silk Shirtdress: Silk Sack Dress Fabness. It's beyond body type, comes in black, and runs a size big.
- BAUM UND PFERDGARTEN Brooklynn Crop Cotton & Linen Jacket: This looks best on those who can fill it out with broad shoulders, a larger bust, and long arms. Fashion forward and versatile.
- AllSaints Polly Denim Midi Dress: A fitted yet not constricting denim dress that looks better without the layering tee and belt. Fits a range of body types. Well made. I've ordered it!
- Tommy Hilfiger Stanford Stripe Crop Pants: The fabric is soft and drapey, feeling luscious against the skin. The vertical stripes are unique and pretty in the low-contrast stripe. The mid rise is comfortable and the fit works quite well on curvier figure despite the vertical stripe. Good room on the thighs.
- Club Monaco Matie Gingham Crop Pants: The micro check is for Team Cobalt Blue. The mid rise feels quite low compared to high-rise everything. The fit is very fluid on a straighter body type, and good on a curvier body type. Lovely fabric. Good room on the thighs.
- Zara Asymmetric Poplin Shirt: The white is more see-through than I'd like. It's NOT a well-made item, but the fabric is quite good and the cut is genius. It will not overwhelm a small frame as you might expect. I have it in a blue stripe. The striped fabric is better than the white, but the white looks great with a white camisole layered underneath it.
- French Connection Amalie Lace Blouse: This is GORGEOUS. The sleeves are a work of art and the boxy fit is architectural. The lace is off-white and not scratchy (not soft either, so consider yourself warned). It runs a size big. It would have been mine if it didn't run big and I wasn't sized out.
- Alfani Printed High Low Tunic, Created for Macy's: An interesting stripe in a flowing and drapey tunic that is crease-resistant and machine washable. Runs a size big, and works on an assortment of body types. Comes in other patterns.
- Banana Republic Linen Raglan Cropped T-Shirt: A simple short tee that is sufficiently opaque and works on a range of body types. Many colours and read the rave reviews.
- Banana Republic High-Rise Wide-Leg Cropped Jean: These worked on a range of clients as long as the length was right. Two to four inches above the ankle bone is great. Flattering, dramatic, and comes in lengths. You can easily trim the frayed hem if that's not your cuppa.
- DKNY Faux-Leather Moto Jacket: Good faux leather jacket for Team Broad Shoulders. Runs a size big. Very pretty off-white.
- INC International Concepts INC Fringe-Hem Button-Front Straight-Leg Jeans, Created for Macy's: Go Team Woodstock. These come in four washes, are super soft, mould to most body types, and are very comfy. The fringe is more dramatic in person.
- Anne Klein Knit-Trim Tweed Jacket: You have to see this fabulous piece in person to get the right impression. The classic Spring tweed bouclé jacket is trimmed with a sporty striped rib creating fabulous tension. Impeccable quality.
- INC International Concepts INC Plus Size Tummy Control Zenith Boyfriend Jeans, Created for Macy's: Super cute trendy fluid jeans with rave reviews.
- Ecco Soft 7 Woven Slip-On Sneaker: Extremely polished, casual and neat on the foot. Comes in other neutrals and can work well with orthotics when you size up. Wear them with just about anything.
- DKNY Cropped Bomber Jacket: A crinkly bomber jacket that is very lightweight and loud because the fabric makes a noise, but is awfully fun and will not date.
- Theory Treeca Check Crop Pants: IMPECCABLE light blue micro check pants that are made of extremely gorgeous crisp fabric. Crease-resistant, comfortable, and very polished. Good cigarette silhouette, and not skinny. Fits a range of body types. Runs big unless you want them to fit roomy like the model. I sized down to achieve a more tailored fit. They are mine and are the BEST Theory pants I've ever had.
- Banana Republic High-Rise Tapered Pant: The best fitting carrot pants of the season. Lovely fabric, sueded, best on a curvier body type with a defined waist, and the waist tie lies VERY flat. The rise is not too high either. It worked on straighter figures with a less defined waist too. Comes in three neutrals. SUPER CUTE.
- Banana Republic Classic Utility Jacket: Great utility jacket that comes in more than just olive. Good side entry pockets and reasonably structured fit. Read the rave reviews.
Go to the collection page if you would like to see the images alongside my descriptions.