Fall and Winter 2019 has got to be one of the best shopping seasons ever. There is ample variety in clothing silhouettes, colours, fabrics, textures and patterns, and across dress codes and extended size ranges. The most important part is that you have the sartorial freedom to wear things exactly how and when you want to.
I’m thrilled with the liberated, individualist and somtimes rebellious message that fashion and style is celebrating this year. Long may it last! Whether your style is modern classic, trendy, trendy classic, modern retro, playfully vintage, bohemian, preppy, Byzantine, avant-garde, hard-edged, rock ’n’ roll, gothic, arty, eclectic, whimsical, wild & wackadoodle, dressy, casual, urban, cowgirl or sporty — it’s all good as long as your looks are authentic, manageable, and feel fabulous-to-you. DO YOUR OWN THING, and milk the season.
This week’s top picks are assorted, with a hint of holiday. You’ll see items in colours that we haven’t seen come through in years — like dark browns — and it’s refreshing.
- J.Crew No. 2 Pencil Skirt: Earthy Jungle Skirt Fabness. My word, what a unique pattern. Looks designer. Quite luxe. Best on a straighter bottom half, and has a blouse to match.
- Boden Mabel Sweater: GORGEOUS metallic bronze sweater, which is unique. Dainty, refined, and will keep you warm on a dressier occasion. Very fluid fit. Fab for the holidays - but by all means wear it casually too. Works as well on broad shoulders as it does on narrower shoulders. Comes in three solids and a stripe.
- Halogen x Atlantic-Pacific Fair Isle Faux Fur Pom Beanie: A fun beanie that fits a small head. Has a matching sweater and scarf and comes in a pale pink colourway.
- Halogen x Atlantic-Pacific Print Button-Up Shirt: Fab and fun dressy pretty blouse with statement collar and cuffs. Runs big. The XS is too big for someone who wears a US0. Looks great tucked. Has matching trouser socks.
- Halogen x Atlantic-Pacific Novelty Knee Socks: Knee-High Sock Fabness.
- Ted Baker London Leytina Stripe Peplum Sweater: I have this top in solid navy, and I love it. It feels and looks polished, playful and sharp in a very comfortable manner. Keeps me warm in a dressy way too. It's for a narrower top half, and very form-fitting, so you have to be okay with that, as well as the architectural poof of the peplum. Not good on a long torso. Might run a size small.
- RACHEL RACHEL ROY Plaid Coat: A fun plaid coat in a versatile length. Good fluid fit, flattering raglan shoulder detailing, and practical side entry pockets. Gorgeous quality and fabric. Works on a range of body types,
- RACHEL RACHEL ROY Cleopatra Jeans: Glitzy Jeans Fabness. How magical they look with silver shoes. Relaxed on the thighs, and good for a curvy body type.
- Club Monaco Cashmere Button Cuff Sweater: A luxurious and refined pullover in a cool shade of brown. Nice exaggerated cuff detailing. Quite narrow on the arms, and a fluid body fit.
- Club Monaco Chunky Lariat Chain Necklace: A bit of bling, 80's style.
- SCOTCH & SODA Lurex Trousers: These are super fun, soft and stretchy. They feel like joggers, but are cut like formal trousers. Comes in silver too. Super cute tuxedo striping. Best on a straighter figure, although it works well on a curvier figure with waist alterations.
- Boden Small Velvet Pouch: This pouch is for when you are BOTH a cat and dog person because it says CAT person on the flip side. Super fun pouch that straddles the lines between dressy and casual.
- MATISSE Crush Bootie: A moderately comfy dressy cream bootie that's great with ankle-length or full-length pants. Best on a narrower ankle and regular or low volume foot.
- Boden Ellie Wrap Top: Super cute dressy yet very cosy velvet wrap top with a subtle puffy sleeve. Beautifully tailored, and quite forgiving on the midsection. Excellent on those who wear V-necks well.
- Boden Antonia Pencil Skirt: A fun body-con knitted skirt for narrow and straight-hipped chevron lovers. Bold and playful, yet refined and dressy. Has a sweater to match. It can work on a wider and curvier bottom half if you're good with looking bombshell va-va-voom.
- Yumi Kim Yumi KimLeanna Dress: I haven't seen this frock in person yet, but it caught my eye because it's covered yet alluring, tailored yet fluid, and neutral yet bold. Not too short either. Fab earthy floral.
- Boden Floral Velvet Trousers: I have mustard Boden velvet pants from last year, and they are AMAZING. Beautifull luxe fabric and finish. I did though, have mine altered a whole size down, which was worth it because now they fit perfectly and I love wearing them. I think these are the same cut and fabric. They come in a few solid colours on the Boden site. I might get the bright red because I wear my velvet pants casually with hi-top sneakers too. Best on a narrower calf.
- Boden Tweed Pencil Skirt: An emerald green woolly pencil skirt in a knee-covering length is a rare find. This one works better on a straighter bottom half.
- Boden Antonia Crewneck Sweater: A dressy statement pullover with trendy puffy sleeves for chevron lovers. Comes in a polka dot forest green. An easy option to wear for the holidays.
- Boden Rhea Dot Fair Isle Sweater: Après Ski Fabness, or whenever you feel like wearing a cosy and warm casual pullover. Comes in a muddy mauve and cream too. Crisp and classic, yet relaxed.
- Veronica Beard Gemini Lace Pants: Veronica Beard makes very nice pants, and these lace darlings are no exception. They are quite long in the rise though. Best on a body type with a defined waist.
- Tahari ASL Faux-Suede Topper Jacket: GORGEOUS light-weight topper in the richest shade of cognac. Can be worn indoors and does not look like outerwear. Impeccable quality and drape. Works on a range of body types. Fun side entry pockets too.
- Tahari ASL Petite Plaid Moto Jacket: Impeccable quality plaid moto that can be worn indoors. Substantial and lovely fabric. It's very crisp but with lots of stretch. Excellent with a skirt and dress too. Works on a range of body types.
- Boden Peggy Sweater: A clean crisp sweater with a gentle fluid fit. Fun button detailing on the cuffs, and very neat slash neck. Fitted sleeves, and sleek appearance. Can work on a larger bust. Works on broader and narrower shoulders. My client rocked this in red with wide cropped jeans and white boots.
- Soia & Kyo Lightweight Hooded Down Coat: GORGEOUS sleek and warm puffer that's impeccable quality. Might run a size small. Comes in black.
- Reiss Harley Green Asymmetric Satin Skirt – REISS: I haven't seen this skirt in person yet, but it looks architectural, different and pretty. Great drape Comes in silver.
- Reiss Casper Ivory Twin Pocket Printed Blouse – REISS: A very unique pattern in a cool shade of brown for refined blouse wearers.
- Reiss Hartley Wide Leg Navy Wide Leg Tailored Trousers – REISS: These are described as wide leg, but aren't that wide. Great dressy pants that can be dressed up or down. Good length for tall gals with flats, and fits a range of body types. Beautifully made. Ink blue or black, and has a blazer to match.
Go to the collection page if you would like to see the images alongside my descriptions.