There seems to be less party wear in brick-and-mortar stores this year, and I was wondering if you’d noticed that too. Online assortments, on the other hand, are as full, extended and diverse as they have ever been. There is so, so much more available online.
Here are my top picks for this week across a range of items, price points, silhouettes, dress codes and colours.
- MARC FISHER LTD Marc Fisher LTD Waren Combat Boot (Women) | Nordstrom: '90s Combat Boot Fabness if you can manage the heel height. Fits a range of foot and ankle shapes because you can manipulate the width with the laces. Comes in black with white laces. Read the rave reviews.
- Bed Stu Bed Stu Gogo Boot (Women) | Nordstrom: This tall boot works well on petites because of the shorter shaft height. Comfy and works on a regular width calf. All the colours are nice. Quite comfy.
- Dansko Dansko Pearlina Pump (Women) | Nordstrom: If the arch support of Dansko footwear floats your boat, these semi dressy Mary Janes are worth a look. They aren't as wide as the brand used to be unless you get a wide width. Comes in black.
- Talbots Velveteen Blazer: An excellent velvet jacket for a curvy body type with a larger bust. Good on apple shapes too. The petite is a great fit on a short and curvy body type. Lovely quality and comes in three colours. Good reviews.
- Splendid Splendid Nuria Sock Bootie (Women) | Nordstrom: Streamlined sock boots to wear with skirts, culottes, dresses and cropped pants with hosiery or socks. Very comfortable on a regular volume foot. Read the rave reviews.
- Boden Round Toe Stretch Boots: These work well SCRUNCHED on the leg with skirts, dresses, culottes, wide crops, or over skinnies. They are very long when pulled up unless you are tall with long legs. Runs small, and well made.
- J.Crew Martie slim crop pant in stretch wool blackwatch: A repeat style that works well on a straighter figure.
- J.Crew Pencil skirt in holiday lattice print: A festive skirt for Team Tall and Straighter Hips.
- Boden Lavinia Sweater: A well-made festive pullover that works on a broad shoulder line. The scooped neckline is great on a larger bust and shorter neck. The sleeves can be scrunched and the hem worn untucked. Elegant, streamlining, forgiving, and handy to have in your wardrobe for the holidays. Comes in three colours. Good reviews.
- Zara Low Heeled Square Toe Leather Ankle Boots: Low-heeled '90s booties with a fun oversized block heel. Reasonably comfy, and the quality is okay.
- Marc Jacobs MARC JACOBS Tie Neck Stripe Wool Sweater Dress | Nordstrom: A sweater dress with a horizontal integrity, but the bold stripe is quite forgiving of lumps and bumps nonetheless. Best on a longer neck, smaller bust and straighter hip and thighs. Not good on a curvy body type. Fluid through the waist.
- Marc Jacobs MARC JACOBS Stripe Wool Sweater-Dress | Nordstrom: A fairly fitted sweater dress for those who like to showcase their curves.
- Theory Offset Puffer Coat: FABULOUS avant-garde pinstripe puffer. Bulky yet streamlined. Do not try this style unless you're fine wearing volume. The shorter length does a good job of offsetting the volume. Gorgeous quality.
- Madewell Madewell Tie Waist Tapered Denim Pants | Nordstrom: Fab on those with long torsos and rises who like to define their waists. The belt can be bulky under a long buttoned-up coat so watch for that.
- AG AG Celeste Tiered Midi Dress | Nordstrom: Prairie Frock Fabness for Team Tall & Curvy. Can work on a shorter person, but you might need to hem the length. Read the rave reviews.
- BP BP. Cable Knit Sweater Dress (Plus Size) | Nordstrom: An affordable easy throw-on-and-go sweater dress to wear with hose, boots and a coat. Quality is okay.
- J.Crew Collection floral jacquard pencil skirt: Gorgeous brocade pencil skirt for those with straighter hips and thighs. Plenty of length for taller gals. Love how it's been styled with flats.
- J.Crew Collection floral jacquard painter pencil skirt: The spaced-out pattern is beautiful, and could work well with a burgundy or pink top. Best on a straighter body type. Plenty of length.
- Boden Cynthia Sweater: An interesting cable knit pullover with a slight A-line silhouette. Beautifully made and less bulky than most cable knits.
- Rag & Bone / Jean rag & bone/JEAN Bowery Stripe Turtleneck Sweater Dress | Nordstrom: A pricey and gorgeous sweater dress that can work on a range of body types because of the fluid fit and camouflaging pattern. Personally, I think it looks best on a straight body type with a small bust. Well made.
- Halogen Halogen Hoodie Sweater (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: A hoodie to wear as is or under a blazer. Super soft and okay quality. The orchid and turquoise are delicious.
- Halogen Halogen Faux Fur Coat | Nordstrom: Fabulous fluid coat that can look dressy or casual. Good shade of pearl grey, and handy side -entry pockets. Nicely made. It's supposed to be oversized, but still runs a size big.
- Old Navy Lightweight Quilted Jacket for Women: A casual lightweight bomber for very mild Winters. Good on a curvy body type. Great pockets.
- Ann Taylor Foldover Satin Pouch: Citron Oversized Clutch Fabness. Fun festive bow too. Available in lilac.
- Ann Taylor Bow Tie Scrunchie: Scrunchies are back and I dare you to wear one. These satin ones come in colours and are super cute.
- Gap Oversized Wool-Blend Cocoon Coat: A good man coat with a fluid fit. Great for layering over fitted blazers. No side-entry pockets so consider yourself warned. Quite nice quality.
- Boden Rosemoor Paperbag Skirt: A fab skirt for a long torso and defined waist. Works well on a curvy bottom half as long as you have a long body. Must wear it with a tucked top to showcase the paper bag waist detailing. You do not need to be tall to wear this style.
- Boden Melina Paperbag Skirt: The silhouette is best on a long and defined waist. Do not try the skirt if you are short in the waist because you'll feel squat. Its length works well on shorter ladies because of the tucked top that lengthens the leg line from the hips upwards.
- Jeffrey Campbell Jeffrey Campbell Moon GRL Bootie (Women) | Nordstrom: I'm thinking about keeping these because white boots are my thing, they are reasonably comfy, and I love the one inch heels. Fun square toe. Comes in black. For lower volume feet.
- Steve Madden Steve Madden Juke Bootie (Women) | Nordstrom: Silver flat boots with a tailored ankle fit are hard to find, and these are pointy-toed too. Quite comfortable, and reasonably well made. Comes in black. Best on a regular or lower volume foot. Good reviews.
- Boden Long Sleeve Sparkle Breton: A fab form-fitting tee with a hint of sparkle. Fab under a blazer, or tucked into high-rise bottoms. Works well on a curvy body type.
- Boden Winifred Jersey Jacquard Dress: A very comfy knit dress that works well on petites in a regular size. Forgiving fit despite the structure and comes in grey. Comes in longs too.
Go to the collection page to see pictures of the items alongside my descriptions.
Finally, here’s a selection of statement socks that you can incorporate into outfits in a deliberate and fashionable way. I’ve bought a few neutral and non-neutral pairs to wear with boots and am enjoying the maximal vibe. The Hot Sox with the Yorkies on them had to be mine in the stone colourway.