There are many shades of dark red, from the yummiest cherry to the deepest bordeaux and everything in-between. For simplicity’s sake, I’m calling these rich Autumn and Winter reds “burgundy.”
Burgundy boots are fabulous, and many of my clients have a pair. Despite being awfully loyal to tomato red, I’ve thrown in some burgundy for Fall too. I bought a gorgeous pair of dressy and flat Italian boots in the Netherlands last month. They are such a dark shade of red that they look brown. They bookend my new dark brown specs, which works out well. I also bought a burgundy and light blue scarf to complete the complement.
Although I’ve created a complement, my suggestion is to just wear burgundy boots, and don’t worry to much about repeating the colour elsewhere in the outfit. Wear them like a neutral. I haven’t worn the burgundy scarf yet, but have thrown the booties into a mismatched outfit a couple of times. This is 2017, so why not!
Burgundy boots pick up burgundy highlighted hair quite beautifully too.
Here’s a selection of burgundy boots across a range of price points that have been winners on clients this season. Many come in a shade of grey or black too.
- La Canadienne Jil: The most beautifully simple, sleek, casually dressy flat bootie of them all. The high shaft is AMAZING, and works on a narrow and regular width ankle. Too narrow for wide ankles. Toe box is roomy, and fits an orthotic. Can work on higher volume feet, but not wide feet. WEATHERPROOF and very comfortable. Gorgeous quality. Pricy, but stunning.
- SKECHERS Prima - Leather Laces: Fabulously roomy, chunky sneakers. Fits an orthotic and is great for high volume feet. Hi-top silhouette does not cut into your ankle.
- Franco Sarto Brandy: A basic Boho-Lite style with clean lines. More comfortable than expected. Refined topstitching, and solid heel. Not a heavy shoe.
- Rockport Cobb Hill Collection Cobb Hill Aria: A very comfy lace-up bootie that looks fab with casual skirts and dresses. Works best on ankles and feet that can fill out the silhouette. The burgundy has a touch of purple.
- Børn Felicia Knee High Boot: A super flattering tall boot for calf circumferences of 14.5 to 15 inches. Comfy, sleek and casual.
- Børn Karava Bootie: The leather on these boots is sublimely soft. WOW. Very comfy and fits higher volume feet. Nice arch support. All the colours are fab.
- Rockport Cobb Hill Bethany Boot: The red is cool-toned, and more cherry in person. Great for higher volume feet, and fits an orthotic. Comfortable and supportive. The back zipper means that you don't have to do up the laces. The bootie looks a LOT more polished when you tuck the ends of the laces away.
- MARC FISHER LTD Wanya Boot: Haute Hiking Boot Fabness. Chunky yet refined. Moderately comfortable. Read the rave reviews.
- Blundstone Footwear 'Original Series' Water Resistant Chelsea Boot: A robust "paddock" bootie for woodsy walks and the like. Great for higher volume feet. Very comfy.
- Earth 'Amber' Buckle Bootie: More of a shootie or caged pump, and good for those who want to wear pumps in a less delicate and dressy way. Good for higher volume feet. Comfy.
- Linea Paolo 'Felicia' Wedge Bootie: Sleek Wedged Sneaker Fabness. Read the rave reviews.
- Sudini 'Fabiana' Tall Boot: Best on Team Tall with medium width calves. Sleek, dressy, and casually refined. Well made, classic and weatherproof.
- L'Amour Des Pieds Pirisa Bootie: Fab shootie for wider feet that need support and cushioning footbeds. Works with smaller bunions.
- Free People Emerald City Bootie: Tailored, unique and moderately comfortable. Works for a high instep and regular width foot. Good on a narrower ankle.
- Ara 'Patty' Block Heel Boot: Clean and classic. Fably discreet and crisp under full length straight legs. The elastic inserts add loads of comfort.
- Børn 'Cross' Bootie: RATE (Rough Around The Edges) Boho meets Action Cowgirl and is as comfy as can be. Read the rave reviews.
- Eric Michael Lena: Wedged, adorable and more comfy than expected. Sleek on the foot despite the buckle detailing. CASUAL.
- Munro Alfie Bootie: The ankle ruching is an adorable detail, and streamlines the fit on the leg. Extremely comfy. Higher volume feet should order a wide size. Fab with dresses and skirts.
Visit the collection page to see the items alongside my descriptions.