I think white tops are magical. Wear a white cotton camisole under a white top to make it look richer and more saturated, or if the top is too sheer. If you overheat in a camisole, try a Second Base camisole in white or a shade of nude. They are extremely lightweight, cool and breezy. You can’t feel that you’re wearing it. If a camisole is not an option, wear a pretty white or off-white bra with ample coverage under a white top that’s a little sheer.
Here’s an assortment of white tops across a range of price points, size curves, silhouettes and fabrics. Some have worked well on my clients, while others have great reviews online. Some require camisoles and some don’t. Some are available in colours other than white.
- Joie Orval Lace Inset Top: Boho Casual in an off-white. Great with a pair of bootcut or flared jeans.
- Madewell Eyelet Bell Sleeve Shirt: An eyelet shirt that's awfully pretty and looks just fine with a flesh-toned bra and no cami. Boxy and short, so you need to be okay with the volume, which looks architectural.
- City Chic Pintuck Lace Layer Top: Boho Chic. Gently fitted and fluid. Can work surprisingly well on a larger bust. Read the rave reviews.
- Theory Pima Cotton Top: A high-quality tee in a substantial fabric. Excellent layer under a jacket. Good wardrobe essential and plenty of length. Fitted and runs narrow. Not good on a short waist or muffin top.
- Michael Stars Cold Shoulder Tee: A dressier and crisper knitted top that's drapey and forgiving for muffin top. Great length for tall gals. No need to wear a camisole.
- Classiques Entier Stretch Silk Shirred V-Neck Top: An excellent layer to wear under a jacket. Refined and delicate.
- Vince Camuto Sleeveless V-Neck Blouse: An excellent layer to wear under a jacket, and all the colours are nice. Very forgiving of muffin top. Runs big.
- Foxcroft 'Paige' Non-Iron Cotton Shirt: An ultra crisp white shirt in a substantial fabric. Excellent on a curvy figure. Camouflages midsection lumpage and bumpage. No need for a cami. Read the rave reviews.
- Bobeau Raglan Sleeve Mesh Top: Streamlined, breezy and interesting. Covered yet alluring.
- Amour Vert Paola High/Low Tee: A tunic tee for Team Tall. Soft, silky, comfy and modern. Size down for a less fluid fit.
- The Great The Ruffle Tee: Ruffle Tee Fabness. All the colours are nice.
- Kate Spade New York eyelet embroidered tiered top: Gorgeous quality top. Modern Retro and very pretty. It's poufy so you have to be okay with the volume.
- Boden Supersoft Oversized Tee: A roomy tee that does not need a cami. Excellent on an apple shape.
- Boden Easy Jersey Shirt: Super cute semi-fitted grandpa tee which looks great semi-tucked into jeans. Good on a curvy figure. Best on a shorter neck and larger bust. Might run a size small.
- Boden Carla Frill Neck Tank: Frilly Fun. Fab over shorts on a hot day. Might need to size up.
- Boden Valencia Top: A little retro and fitted on the bust area. Forgiving of muffin top. Pretty, breezy and alluring.
- Banana Republic Ruffle Bell-Sleeve Shirt: An architectural silhouette that drapes with straight lines. Dramatic. Nice fabric. Roomy.
- Banana Republic Short-Sleeve Eyelet Top: A LINED eyelet top that's well suited to a curvy figure or apple-shaped body type. Works well on a larger bust. Better in person because the model can't fill out the silhouette.
- AQUA Tie Front Top - 100% Exclusive: A simple yet complex blouse to wear over cropped wide legs or culottes. Looks good over a pencil skirt and regular bootcut jeans too. Forgiving on the midsection. Read the rave reviews.
- AQUA Floral Lace Collared Top - 100% Exclusive: A white lace top that's begging to be worn with a black pencil skirt, or cropped black pants.
- Eileen Fisher Petites' Boatneck Tee: A tee in substantial fabric with a boxier cut. Runs big, and fits most body types. Quite forgiving of muffin top. Versatile. Good as a layering top too. Available in petites.
- Karen Kane Raw Hem Bell Sleeve Blouse: A weightier top in substantial fabric. Great fit on the torso. Fitted, yet fluid. Best on those with long arms. Runs big.
- Wilt Shrunken Boyfriend Top: A good tee for a larger bust. Not too sheer. Flattering. Read the rave reviews.
- Madewell Jeanette Eyelet Shift: An adorable mini dress that works well as a tunic over cropped jeans. Refined Boho, and awfully pretty. Not good on a large bust. The volume of the silhouette tempers the sheerness.
- Mango Flecked Cotton-blend Top: A simple V-neck top that works well on a larger bust, and glides over midsection lumps and bumps.
- Trouvé Tie Front Tank: Good tie top that suits a range of body types. The tie does not create a bulky effect on the midsection. Good length for longer torsos. All the colours are nice. Good underarm coverage.
Visit the collection page to see the items alongside my descriptions.