I like that brand new Fall merchandise is trickling into stores early this year, despite our hot Summer weather. Usually, I wait until September to refresh my jeans capsule, but when you find a pair of jeans that’s perfect in every way, why wait.
AG’s Jodie Crop Side Slip Jeans are just that. My word, their fit and quality are sublime. They’re tailored, but not body-con. Their higher rise doesn’t dig into my waist, and the length is perfect at two inches above my ankle bone. The long side slits are unique, and the denim does not bag out. The fabric feels like 100% cotton denim and is not overly stretchy (bonus). I LOVE the uniform dark denim as I’ve grown tired of distressing. This is what I expect from premium denim and am glad that AG has not dropped their standards.
Here’s a selection of items that tickled my fancy this week, most of which I’ve seen in person. Topshop continues to make fabulous and comfortable footwear.
- AG The Jodi Crop Side Slit Jeans: These might go down as the best jeans of the season, and it's only August. They will fit both a straighter and curvier body type just because the cut and fabric of the jeans are sublime. Streamlined, chic and very flattering. The crisp dark denim is dressy and looks fresh amidst a sea of distressing. Gorgeous dramatic side vents. Length can be shortened for petites. Not suited to an apple shaped body, and probably too much room in the thighs for inverted triangle body types.
- Free People Chelsea Cropped Kick Flare Jeans: Much more distressed and dramatic in person. The low rise works well on a short torso. Fab for Team RATE. Good on both a curvier and straighter body. Plenty of room in the thighs. Petites will need to hack off some length.
- A Gold E June High Rise Sailor Jeans: Fun sailor pants that are VERY long. You need to be tall if you don't want to hack off the length, and preferably not short in the waist either. The legs are streamlined and create a good fit. Very '70s. A lot more dramatic in person, and good on a straight or moderately curvy body type. Best on Team Tall.
- Topshop ANA Elastic Ankle Boots: Comfy, and good on narrow ankles. Built-in socks have their advantages.
- Topshop MERCURY Soft Toe Ankle Boots: SUPER soft leather. Feels like slippers on the foot. Very comfortable. The leather is quite delicate so consider yourself warned. The grey is crisp and graphic. Works for many foot types because the leather stretches over the shape of your foot.
- Topshop **BELVOIR Chelsea Boots By Unique: Impeccable quality and very comfortable. Looks like a designer shoe. Works on low and regular volume feet. Might run big. Very dramatic on the foot, and you will need to be okay with that and the exceptionally long footbed. Makes your feet look long. I found them too hard-edged for my own style, but they are going to work beautifully on someone else.
- Topshop 'Marilyn' Square Toe Bow Bootie (Women): A beautiful maximal girly bootie. Looks a little Valentino. The colour is a muddy blush and darker in person. Very comfortable, with a nice narrow ankle fit. Shafts are quite high. Works on a variety of foot shapes. Also available in black.
- Jeffrey Campbell 'Saffron' Round Toe Bootie (Women): This one is for Team Arty Earthy Casual. A quirky bootie that feels like a slipper on the foot. Soft and supple, and most of the bootie is vegan. Good on a narrow ankle. The shafts are higher than usual.
- Jeffrey Campbell 'Viggio' Brocade Bootie (Women): A fabric bootie with a unique pattern. Quite comfortable despite the lack of leather. Runs small, and read the rave reviews.
You can see the items alongside my descriptions on the collection page.