As always, my comprehensive top picks list per wardrobe category will be posted just after midnight on Friday July 22 when the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is open to all. In the meantime though, here’s an early teaser. Twenty-one items across all price points that blew me away. They all looked so much better in person and on people than they did on display. That’s why it’s very important to try things on! Some of the items are available in multiple colours and petite sizes.
Note: Don’t worry if your size is temporarily sold out because some items will be restocked on Friday, AND sizes become available throughout the sale as returns are processed and items are removed from online shopping carts. Keep checking back on the items that tickle your fancy, because chances are high that your size will turn up over the next fortnight. Feel free to ask questions in the comments section if you’re unsure about any of the items, and I’ll do my best to help you out.
I haven’t seen the Tahari Tessa Boiled Wool Coat in person (yet), but I will this week. If it’s as great as I think it will be, it will make my “best of” list too. Simple Classic Chic at its best. Stay tuned.
- Trina Turk Wool Blend Military Coat (Regular & Petite): The best coat at the sale. Impeccable, interesting, and a modern classic that will stand the test of time. Very flattering. Plenty of room on the hips. Tailored and sharp. Great on a curvy and straighter figure, but not good on a very large bust. You can't wear it over oversized chunky knits so consider yourself warned.
- Aquatalia 'Taylor' Weatherproof Bootie (Women) (Nordstrom Exclusive): The best booties at the sale. Tailored, beautifully made, waterproof, interesting, fun texture, and above all very comfortable. Great narrow ankle fit. Might need to size up half a size. Not good for high volume feet.
- Halogen Ottoman Rib Cashmere Wrap: Best scarf at the sale. Chunky yet refined. Super soft and delightfully drapey. Works tied as a scarf with a coat, or as a wrap. Versatile, warm and elegant.
- Munro 'Luisa' Open Toe Bootie (Women): Best sandal booties at the sale. It wins the comfort award of the year. HEAVENLY on the feet, and available in multiple widths and three colours. Very neat ankle fit. Looks SO much better on the foot than in the photo.
- Halogen Lace Detail Crewneck Sweater (Regular & Petite): Best affordable sweater at the sale. Drapey, alluring, affordable and comfortable. Dress it up or down with all sorts of black bottoms. Can be worn with a regular black bra. No need for strapless.
- The North Face 'ThermoBall' PrimaLoft Hooded Parka: Best gear topper at the sale. Sleek, lightweight, packable, weather-resistant, and available in fun colours. The waist can be narrowed with a drawstring for structure.
- Leith Floral Stretch Knit Pencil Skirt: Best affordable skirt at the sale. Excellent fit, great fabric, cute pattern, elegant length, versatile, easy to launder, comfortable and crease-resistant. Slimming. I WISH they had offered this in a wider assortment of sizes.
- BCBGeneration Faux Shearling Drape Front Jacket: Best faux fur topper at the sale. The fit and drape are INCREDIBLE. I can't believe how well the front lapels drape and stay put. Very streamlined. It wowed me. Works well on a large bust and in all sizes. My size 2, 6, 8, and 14 clients put this on and took my breath away. Fun pockets and lovely asymmetrical hem. Tailored and non-scratchy. Sleeves are easy to shorten.
- FRAME 'Le High Straight' High Rise Staggered Hem Jeans (Carroll) (Nordstrom Exclusive): Best trendy jeans at the sale. Higher rise, soft denim that isn't overly stretchy, fun hem treatment, and slight distressing. Works well on a moderately curvy and straighter figure. Will not work on petites as the hems cannot be shortened.
- Citizens of Humanity 'Emerson' Slim Boyfriend Jeans (Palmero): Best comfortable cropped jeans at the sale. Relaxed fit with excellent back pocket positioning. Works on most body types. Will not stretch out. Size down a size.
- James Perse Double Breasted Blazer: Best knitted jacket at the sale. Casually chic, and very comfortable. Works well on petites and short-waisted body types. Sleeves are easy to shorten. It also worked unexpectedly well on tall girls. Also available in olive.
- Rag & Bone 'Faye' Longline Double Breasted Wool Blend Vest: Best tailored vest or gilet at the sale. Impeccable fit and workmanship. Subtle yet dramatic. Very tailored, sharp, and will stand the test of time. It's BLUE and has pockets. Too long for petites, but an easy alteration to shorten the length. Might run small.
- Spanx Faux Leather Leggings: Best leggings at the sale. Super Hero Liquid Mercury Fabness. It makes everything look more modern. Fabulous under dresses, skirts and tunics. Great tummy control too. They are hard to get on, but worth the effort.
- AGL 'Parker' Oxford (Women): Best oxfords at the sale. Beautifully made, chic, comfortable and refined in an ever so slightly chunky way. Works for both higher and lower volume feet. Available in three colours.
- Topshop 'Mega Buckle' Bootie (Women): Best high-shaft high-heeled booties at the sale. Sleek, refined and trendy. Works best for regular and lower volume feet. If you can manage the heel height, it's actually a comfortable bootie.
- Aquatalia 'Verona' Weatherproof Bootie (Women) (Nordstrom Exclusive): Best skyscraping heel at the sale. Impeccable quality, beautiful design, delicious colour and glorious fit. Chic Deluxe.
- Helene Berman Fringe Long Plaid Vest: Best fringed item at the sale. All I could do was smile profusely when my clients modelled this vest. VERY FUN and impeccably made. Fluid fit. A statement piece with a high longevity factor. The checks are beautifully matched all over the garment. A very happy piece!
- Halogen Kick Flare Knit Ankle Pants (Regular & Petite): Best cropped flares at the sale and affordable too. Very substantial fabric, and wonderfully dressy. They have worked on every body type from super straight to very curvy, and from a size 2 to a size 16. A genius cut. They mould to your body but do not look like a "sausage casing" either. Easy to shorten for petites.
- Vince Jersey Turtleneck: Best turtleneck at the sale and in a super soft fabrication. It has an architectural cut that you cannot see in the photo. Sublimely voluminous AND structured. Tapers back on to the hip. The neck is tightly tailored so consider yourself warned. Not good on a shorter neck. I wish this came in larger sizes as it does not run big like the brand usually does.
- Halogen Merino Blend Long Cardigan: Best maxi cardigan at the sale. Very lightweight, refined and gauzy. Do not wear it over sleeves because it's too delicate. Perfect over a sleeveless top or dress (both flared and straight). It tapers at the hem in the very best way so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the length. Works well on petites. A pity that it only comes in black and grey.
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star 'Chuck II' Mesh High Top Sneaker (Women) (Regular Retail Price: $89.95): Best high top sneakers at the sale. Canvas Converse can be hard and uncomfortable, but these are a new fit and fabric. Very spongy, cushioning and soft. The fabric moulds to the foot. Works on higher and lower volume feet. Also available in grey.
You can see the items alongside my descriptions on the collection page.