The seemingly unstoppable bumper knitwear trend continues to provide a great assortment of both essential and statement sweaters. A statement sweater is one that is beyond basic. It makes a statement because of its silhouette, design detail, trim, texture, pattern or colour.
Remember that partially tucking the front side hem of boxy sweater styles adds just enough structure to the piece so that you don’t feel like it’s wearing you. Here are some of my top picks, and remember to browse through all colour options.
(Here is the collection in the Finds area if you would prefer to browse visually.)
- Charter Club Cashmere Patterned Boyfriend Sweater: Soft, graphic and boxy. Fresh over white jeans or tan and grey trousers.
- Boden Cashmere Off Duty Jumper: Boden's cashmere is stunning. It's extra soft and launders very well. The looser turtleneck shape works well on a shorter neck.
- Nanette Lepore Women's Visionary Merino Wool Leather Trim Sweater Coat: A fit-and-flare mixed media piece. Great on hourglasses and pear shaped body types. Fun with leather leggings.
- Diane von Furstenberg Sweater - Ahiga Slim Cashmere: A pullover that's worth the price if lilac is your colour. To my eye, this is the shade of lilac that works on most complexions, so it's magical that way. A flattering cowl neckline for a shorter neck and larger bust line.
- Gap Holiday Stripe Wool Sweater: Festive, fun and happy.
- Diane von Furstenberg Long Sleeve Sweater: A refined and dainty piece. It looks a little less gold in person. Size up to create a fluid fit although it was intended to be formfitting. It's very long, so best on tall gals or worn untucked over bootucuts or slim bottoms.
- Autumn Cashmere Cable Knit Hi-Lo Gilet Sweater: A texture-rich piece that's as fun layered over a long sleeved tee.
- Reiss Sweater - Tessa Camouflage Knit: A dainty pullover in an interesting camouflage pattern that creates a modern look worn over a flared skirt.
- Halogen Wool & Cashmere Asymmetrical Sweater (Regular & Petite): The curved placement of the colour block creates an amazing flattering effect on the body. It visually reins in the volume of the pullover and makes you look curvy despite the boxy cut. The asymmetrical hem adds structure. Fab on a broader shoulder line, larger bust and shorter neck.
- Free People 'Sugar' Faux Wrap Sweater: An unusual piece that's best on a long neck and smaller bust. I like it over a skirt or baggier bottoms.
- Karen Millen Tweed tunic: Thick, substantial and well made. It's longer than it looks in the photo and can probably be worn as a dress.
- Boden Terrier Sweater: A basic shape with a lot of attitude thanks to the pattern. Consider this style if you have a Jack Russell Terrier. Runs small.
- Sea Oversized Plaid Pullover: A little scratchy but a fab update on an '80s look.
- Eliza J Fair Isle Sweater Dress: One of my tall clients is wearing this sweater dress as a tunic over skinnies with boots, but it can also be worn as a frock with tights. Good on broad shoulders.
- AllSaints Maraz Sweater: A digital delight in shades of grey.
- Halogen Embroidered Sweatshirt (Regular & Petite): Technically more of a sweatshirt than a sweater, but a fun dose of shine to wear with jeans if taupe is your colour.
- Eileen Fisher Yak & Merino Wool Poncho (Plus Size): Amazingly flattering and well made. I like it best over dark jeans or black pants. The shape of the cowl is brilliant over a larger bust and shorter neck.
- Wildfox Swan Dive Sweater: Why not wear a swan, just for fun. The sleeves are very long and cannot be scrunched, so consider yourself warned.
- JOA Knit Top with Check Pattern: Cropped, cute, boxy and trendy. Layer it over a shirt or blouse if baring your midriff is not your thing.
- Club Monaco Pascha Sweater: An extra oversized style with a touch of fringe. You need broad square shoulders to pull off this look, if you aren't tall.
- Zara Patterned Knit Poncho: A poncho pullover is a little more practical than a poncho because the sleeves don't flap about as much. Go Team Clint Eastwood.
- Free People Sweater Poncho - Cable Zip: A cape-style poncho with sleeves is a nice option to wear at home or out in a mild Winter climate because it does not layer well under coats, unless you're wearing another cape.
- Alice + Olivia Sweater - Allover Martini: Create a festive vibe with a Martini print. Wear this to a holiday party or out to dinner with a dressy or casual bottom. Cheers.
- AQUA Tunic - Side Zip Cable Knit: An Alexander Wang copy at a fraction of the price. Best over black bottoms and on a long torso.
- AQUA Cashmere Sweater - Asymmetric Hem Crewneck: A gentle asymmetrical statement goes a long way.
- Vintage Havana Sweater - Marled Stripe V-Neck: The cricket-inspired pullover is a unique take on the Sporty Luxe trend. Wear it layered over a camisole, tee or shirt if the V-front is too low.
- Uniq Sweater - Deep V: The colours of this cricket-inspired pullover is more authentic and classic. Great over black pants or jeans. Wear it layered over a camisole, tee or shirt if the V-front is too low.
- Alice + Olivia 'Smiley Stace' Crewneck Sweater: One way to wear a smiley face.
- Autumn Cashmere Plaid Crewneck Sweater: A plaid-light pullover that's super cute with a pair of boyfriend jeans. I love how the pattern brings life to the grey.
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Appliquéd Cotton And Cashmere-Blend Sweater: This one is for Team Poodle. The mesh inserts look just fine worn over a tank top to cover bra straps.
- Opening Ceremony Zip-Detailed Ribbed Wool Sweater: Trendy and bright. It's stiff and architectural, and not a soft and cozy sweater. But the lines are strong and quite dramatic.
- Karla Spetic Neon Textured-Knit Sweater: You'll stop traffic in this number. Fluffy and VERY bright.
- Autumn Cashmere Leather Patch Dolman Sleeve Cashmere Sweater: Tough, hard-edged and perfect partially tucked into tailored or roomy bottoms.
- Fred Perry Tartan Jumper: Tartan livens up a cold and grey day. A classic that looks modern when worn with a fashionable support act.
- Boden Textured Off Duty Sweater: Cozy, cuddly and casual. Unique in the earthy chartreuse, and gorgeous worn with cognac accents. The roomy turtleneck works well on a shorter neck and larger bust.
Remember that we are at the peak of Fall and Winter retail in the northern hemisphere. By the time our truly cold weather rolls around in January and February, the best of warm and cozy knitwear will be gone in order to make room for lighter weight Spring merchandise.