There is a larger assortment of sleeved midi dresses in stores this season, which is a great improvement on last year. A length of 40 inches hits me just below the knee and I’m 5ft 6, so hopefully that’s a good gauge. Add hosiery, footwear and a coat and you’re done.
- Maggy London Print Long Sleeve Scuba Sheath Dress: At 42 inches, this is a great length on taller gals. Stretchy, subtle in pattern, and elongating piping detail. Wrinkle resistant and easy to travel with.
- Maggy London Print Jersey Sheath Dress: Jewel toned, machine washable and another good option for tall gals. The top and bottom black borders break up the pattern in an interesting way. Read the rave reviews.
- Maggy London Lace Appliqué Floral Print Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite): Elegant, a little baroque and retro, and very flattering. I love the scalloped lace trim and moody floral pattern. Also available in petites. Runs small. More rave reviews.
- Maggy London Metallic Jacquard Midi Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite): This dress finishes at 44 inches and is the best of the lot for very tall gals. Tailored, but does not cling. Gorgeous metallic jacquard fabric. It's a little dark though, so make sure you're okay with that. The brown looks fresh and is lighter than a black dress. Also available in petites.
- Tracy Reese Print Stretch Silk Crepe Dress: A crepe midi with romantic red roses. I love the high boat neckline, elbow sleeves, and ruching details. It's quite clingy and will showcase your curves so consider yourself warned. It's one of those dresses that you could dress up for an occasion, or dress down for work.
- Ted Baker London Petal Print Gathered Stretch Sheath Dress: A frock that's slightly less tailored on the waist, and works as well under leggings. The front knot of the dress is in an unusual spot below the waistline, which looks unique and fashionable. Camouflages muffin top quite successfully.
- Tracy Reese Ruched Jersey Dress: A great style for a shorter neck and larger bust. It also works well on a broad shoulder line. You really need to fill out the top part of this dress for it to work best. Tailored but does not cling. Ruching helps smooth out midsection lumpage and bumpage. Fun asymmetrical hem.
- Boss BOSS Side Pleat Print Jersey Dress: A scoop neckline looks great on a larger bust and shorter neck. Machine washable viscose in a geometric blue pattern.
- Vince Camuto Faux Leather Panel Ponte Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite): An elegant dress with hip drape. Adds curve to a straighter figure, AND complements a curvier figure. An unusual colour. Read the rave reviews.
- Classiques Entier Bateau Neck Colorblock Sheath Dress: The colour blocked detailing on this dress gives the illusion of an extra narrow defined waist. Not at all clingy and nice for the office.
- Tracy Reese Print Stretch Crepe Dress: Digital tree patterns are fashionable at the moment and here's one on a dress. Excellent paired with black booties or pumps. The black border on the pattern does create a strong horizontally cutting line so consider yourself warned.
- Tracy Reese Mixed Print Surplice Jersey Dress: This frock creates beautiful curves on the body. Not clingy, but very curvy. The placement of the pattern on the back and front torso gives the illusion of a more defined waist. The asymmetrical hem lengthens the leg line. Excellent on a fuller bustline. Might need to size up.
- Karen Millen Brushstroke Print T-shirt Dress: A shorter frock with high-low hemline and boxy silhouette. It's as great worn over leggings as it is on its own. On sale and runs small.
Combine these dresses with pumps, booties, peep-toe booties or taller boots. Moto jackets and boxy jackets work well over straight sheath and shift dresses too. But a knee-length wool coat, either tailored, a man coat or cocoon style, gets my top vote. A very elegant and fashionable pairing over a frock.