I was having a Summer create session with lovely client Karen yesterday, and this is one of the outfits we put together. These are all the exact items, except for the scarf, which is similar to hers. Karen’s style has shifted. She’s dressing more casually than ever, embracing fluid fits, faded denim, pointy toed shoes and ankle straps. She’s showcasing her ankles for the first time in a long time, and loving it.
Here are the pieces. Be sure to look through all the options to find the colours that suit you best.
- Banana Republic Roll-Up City Chino: Karen bought these in white and they’re fabulously lightweight (breezier than boyfriend jeans). Surprisingly, they fit a curvy pear shape and a straighter body type. Wear them lower on the waist, a little loose, and roll the hems for structure. Read the rave reviews.
- Eileen Fisher Ballet Neck Organic Linen Top: This top is ventilating, yet covered. Non-scratchy with a pretty neckline. The shark-bite hemline in the front and back creates a forgiving fit on the midsection, and creates interesting lines on the outfit. The shorter length provides structure. No need to wear a camisole. Also available in colours.
- Halogen Color Stripe Infinity Scarf: An infinity scarf is an easy pull-on-and-go, and this one is soft and Summery. It is not essential to wear a scarf with this outfit, but Karen loves wearing them and enjoys the extra chest coverage.
- Charles David Bailey Pointy Toe Flat: Works quite well on a low volume foot despite the space on the vamp of the shoe. The slight wedge provides good support and the strap is adjustable. It’s harder to walk fast in this shoe, but it’s pretty comfortable nonetheless. The lighter ankle strap is an excellent match with white chinos, while the black pointy toe box bookends Karens black hair.
- Gap 1969 Denim Jacket: A classic that needs no introduction. The denim jacket is not essential to the look, but in Seattle we almost always need a topper early in the morning or later at night.
Karen wears the top untucked without a belt, or partially tucks the front with a silver belt. The layered denim jacket creates interesting layers on the sides. Add sunnies and a bag, and you’re good to go.
A texture-rich look that is comfortable, on trend, practical, chic, relaxed and ageless (Karen is in her seventies). And the best part about it for Karen is that she can stay covered in hot weather without overheating.