Here’s a roundup of casual jackets and cardigans that are lightweight and nice for late Spring or Summer. No leather for a change. Be sure to check all the colour options.
- Stem Drape Collar Jacket: A knitted jacket that’s more interesting than a cardigan but just as cosy. Here is the stripe. Great on broader shoulders and/or a larger bust. Nicely fitted when zipped, and fably modern when worn loose. Check out the cheeky back peplum detail. Might need to size down. Read the rave reviews.
- Chelsea 28 Faux Leather Trim Crocheted Jacket: I haven’t seen this item in person, but it has potential. A pretty Summer topper that’s breezy and fashionable. Fab on an apple shaped body, or ladies with shorter necks and broad shoulders. I like it layered over both high and low contrast items.
- Trouve Leather Trim Tweed Coat: On trend, great modern drape, and lightweight. Excellent on all body types if you’re prepared to surrender the waist. Looks better open than closed. An updated addition to a business casual wardrobe and super over a column of colour.
- Robbi & Nikki Double Breasted Crop Jacket: A little bright orange trapeze style for Team Retro.
- Splendid Hooded Stripe Cardigan: Casual deluxe and more than a basic drape cardigan because of the unusual placement of the stripes.
- Gibson Equestrian Blazer: A repeated style that needs little introduction. Cosy, flattering and fun back peplum detail. Fab on pear, hourglass and apple shape body types. And forest green is trending for Fall 2014.
- Elie Tahari Bella Jacket: This one is for Team Zipper. The crunchy fabric is divine, robust, and different. Great for travel. A style that works as well over jeans as it does over dressier separates for the office. Don’t touch it if you have a short neck because the zipper detailing will rub against your skin.
- Gap Tweed Moto Jacket: The fit is fantastically modern, which means more fluid than fitted. It does not come in at the waist unless you zip it up, and even then, it’s quite roomy. Great colour.
- Gap Printed Tweed Moto Jacket: This is the same jacket in a speckled navy version. I love this one even more.
- Gap Bomber Jacket: A romantic floral bomber with light blue flowers that reads fresh and on trend. Read the rave reviews.
- Club Monaco Faith Jacket: I have this one on order because it’s white, crisp and not leather. I expect the fit to be quite narrow and small. I love the substantial collar, which provides sufficient structure for my long neck and dainty shoulder line.
- Club Monaco Adeline Sweater Jacket: Knitted luxury. Great on an apple body type with a short neck. Keep it open to create a slimming vertical line down the front of the body.
- Club Monaco Witney Sleeveless Moto: On trend and intentionally oversized. Great over frocks with heels too.
- Helmut Lang Villous Sweatshirt Zip Jacket: A touch avant-garde, fashionably roomy, dramatic and cosy. It’s the kind of topper that will update basic items in your wardrobe. Sleeves are an easy alteration sans zippers.
Right now and over the next few months is the best time to purchase lightweight Summer toppers if you’re in the Northern hemisphere. By May retail will be focused on Summer tops and bottoms, and toppers will be few and far between, often leaving you with a basic cardigan as the only option.