A shade of blue with a shade of orange is a glorious pairing. First, blue is better than black if you want to stay away from Halloween associations. And second, blue and orange are complementary colors.
I was inspired by orange and blue outfit combinations while pinning looks from the Spring 2014 runway collections. Take a peek:
- Orange and turquoise knitted top matched with mango culottes. A super look with casual messenger bag and metallic blue sandals.
- Cobalt and ink checked wide leg trouser suit and mandarin orange shirt. Stunning.
- A bouquet of orange and cobalt with stripes. Festive and flirty.
- Dark orange with cobalt and orange swirls. Dramatic yet simple.
- Quadruple pattern mixing in cobalt and orange. Harmoniously hectic.
- Welted Dutch orange sweater with turquoise window pane slouchies. Elegantly no-nonsense, and fun with the backpack.
- Orange, light blue, turquoise, yellow and brown evening edition. Refreshingly different formal wear.
- Orange red trouser suit with turquoise bag and footwear. My favourite combination of orange and blue.
- Shades of mango orange with ink and turquoise checks. Delightfully ’70s.
- Muted French blue fluid shell with Dutch orange pencil skirt and metallic and fur accessories. Modern and ’90s inspired.
- Controlled chaos in geometric orange, yellow, orange-red and periwinkle. Zebra patterned shoes for even more chaos.
- And Prada’s rainbow Christmas tree outfit of oranges, blues, blush and neutrals. You’ll light up the room in this outfit.
These combinations are by no means exhaustive. For example, a shade of orange matched with navy, ink and denim blue is a slam dunk. You needn’t select a bright and bold orange either. Earthier versions in rusts and burnt oranges work just as well with shades of blue. Or match light blue or faded denim with pastel peach and apricot.
Remember that if you don’t like to sport orange as a solid colour or clothing item, wear it in a pattern, as footwear, or accessories. I like the addition of white to a blue and orange combination because it freshens up the palette. Don’t think you have to wait till Spring to sport orange with blue. Wear the combination year round and whenever it tickles your fancy.
My favourite mix of orange and blue is a deep orange-red with bright turquoise, and hint of white. I also like ink blue with Dutch orange. Will you wear orange with blue?