If you like strong black and white casual outfit combinations that err on the side of dressy, this gal on the go outfit formula is for you. In some ways it’s the opposite of the earthier 70’s Mum on the Go outfit combination I posted recently.
You’ll be surprised at how many items you’ll already have in your closet, so shop there first. Here are the components:
- Striped Top: Choose a black and white striped sweater or tee, although navy/grey and white striped tops are great alternatives. The cozy sweater from Aqua and pussy bow tank from Bobeau below fit well and offer extra length.
- Black Jacket: I’ve selected a soft and lightweight casual jersey boyfriend blazer by Halogen which is as comfy as wearing a cardigan. But any black, navy or charcoal blazer will create the look.
- Jeans: Straight leg, skinny or slightly flared bootcuts look best with ballet flats. Choose any wash of blue or black jeans.
- Ballet flats: Chanel is all about two toned ballet flats with bows much like the Lifestride Avid below. Black and white, or black and tan are the most authentic Chanel colour combinations. Feel free to substitute with dressy black ballet flats.
- Flower Pin: I like the effect of a low contrasting flower pin best on a black jacket, much like the lace rosette brooch from Aldo. Tres chic.
- Jewelry: Layering lots of pearl necklaces is typical Chanel style, but it can look a little flashy for a gal on the go. So stick to simple pearl stud earrings and an enamel cocktail ring. Layer those pearl necklaces with this outfit if feeling glam is your thing. I certainly won’t stop you!
- Chain Strap cross body bag: Small cross-body bags are practical and easy on the back and shoulders, and perfect for this look in black, tan or white. I couldn’t resist incorporating the Libby chain strap crossbody bag by Hobo International. Adorably Chanel inspired.
Wearing a black felt cloche is optional and a good idea on a bad hair day (Coco would be proud). And one last thing before I leave you to play Chanel in your closet – one of my favorite fashion quotes from Coco Chanel herself: “Beauty is no guarantee for happiness. Strive instead for elegance, grace and style”.