What a night for the motion picture “Slumdog Millionaire”. They cleaned up! Of all the fashions last night, I enjoyed seeing the ensembles of the Indian male talent of this movie crew the most. Their ethnic Nehru suits rocked. Uber stylish.
I was generally disappointed with the selection of frocks and tuxes last night. Oscar night is as glamorous and stylish as it gets and I’m usually jumping up and down with excitement, cheering and waiting for the next celebrity to look even better than the one before. Somehow, my expectations for an abundance of breathtaking and flawless looks was not met. I wasn’t a fan of the asymmetrical necklines, oversized bows, messy hairdo’s and nude lipstick. Here’s my rundown of the evening:
The best dressed lasses:
- Angelina Jolie comes is first which surprised me. She made my worst dressed list at the Golden Globes but this time her black gown was killer. It was superbly cut and draped impeccably well. Matching it with bold green jewelry gave the seemingly classic frock a different spin. It was hands down my favourite look of the night.
- Evan Rachel Ward was my best at the Golden Globes but comes in second this time round. Nude is difficult to wear, but when you have perfect white milky skin and red hair, it works. I loved the way this dress draped too.
- Taraji P. Henson looked modern yet romantic in her ingenious ruffled gown. I loved everything about this dress. Her modern bob and dramatic, antique-looking necklace sealed the deal. Fabulous.
- Natalie Portman was pretty and perfectly petite in her beautiful Grecian frock. The colour stood out and I liked that.
- Meryl Streep looked alluring yet age-appropriate in her gorgeous grey gown. Her hair looked great up and she was elegant from top to toe.
Actresses like Anne Hathaway, Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry, Penelope Cruz and Kate Winslet looked lovely, but didn’t blow me away. Frieda Pinto and Marisa Tomei are so pretty, but their frocks left me cold.
The best dressed blokes:
- Hugh Jackman was flawless in all his outfits.
- Eddie Murphy rocked an all black shirt and tux with bling.
- Daniel Craig looked as good as James Bond.
The best hair:
- Marion Cotillard sported a French roll like a true French gal.
- Taraji P. Henson‘s modern bob was textured sleek perfection.
The worst dressed stars:
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman looked ridiculous with a beanie.
- Mickey Rourke was scary.
- Heidi Klum looked like Grace Jones gone wrong. I did not like this ultra-modern dress at all.
- Jessica Beale’s oversized front dress folds were unflattering and did nothing for her figure.
- Amanda Seyfried looked like a Christmas present. The bow was too much.
I’m excited to compare Oscar fashion notes so over to you. Who made your best and worst list?
My favourites. Click the thumbnails to see the full pictures on Yahoo’s coverage of the Academy Awards.