Most of us still have a good few months of warm weather to enjoy, but we’ve seen the last of Spring and Summer in store. It’s that crazy retail cycle again. Autumn collections are in full swing and, as ever, I am champing at the bit to talk about them. But first, some final thoughts on the last 6 months of fashion.
Here are my raves (hold off on the rants…we’ll tackle them tomorrow).
- Dresses, dresses, dresses were everywhere. From jersey to chiffon, empire to sack, and casual to smart, dresses look fab on all body types. They’re perfect for hot weather and an easy all-in-one item to throw on. It’s been a great resurgence of the quintessential feminine piece.
- Yellow and cobalt were “new” retro 80’s brights and a breath of fresh air amongst the neutrals.
- Longer length tops and tunics were perfect for skinnies, leggings, straight legs and boot cuts. Tunics and dresses over pants are a uniform in my wardrobe because they’re elegant, flattering, comfortable and versatile. If short tops become fashionable again, I might need to stay stuck in this decade.
- Swing tops that were easy to wear and forgiving on the mid-section get my thumbs up if they didn’t make you look pregnant when you weren’t.
- Voluminous sleeves were dramatic, 40’s and girly. What’s not to love?
- Trapeze jackets worn over longer-length fitted tops and paired with slim bottoms were a new look. This watershed silhouette change became more mainstream this season and it’s nice to see something very new.
- Skinnies and slim pants were the best match for voluminous tops and tunics. After my initial trepidation a year ago, I have grown to appreciate skinnies again.
- Leggings with dresses were an unexpected hit, and a good look for Autumn.
- Waist belts remained an inexpensive way of adding that “of-the-moment” look to an existing ensemble.
- Patent in all it’s hues was a cheerful update from Winter and a wonderful way of adding colour and depth to a neutral outfit.
- Polka dots were fun!
- Ballet flats worked especially well with skinnies and leggings. A fashionable and comfy flat is always fab.
- Bright accessories added lots of excitement.
- Clutches were the “it” bag and a refreshing streamlined change to slouchy hobos.
- Black and white. Despite the overdose it continues to be a striking combination.
Now that our eyes have adapted to the fundamental changes in fashion over the last year, it’s time to embrace the trends that we like and make them wearable for our body type. What were your favourite trends this season?
It seems appropriate to close the season with bright footwear and accessories.