Can you wear skinny jeans if you have curvy hips and thighs? Yes you can. It’s a question of selecting the correct silhouette of skinny and matching it up with the right top and shoes. Skinny jeans are not created equally. Apart from the difference in wash and lycra content – rise measurements, inseam lengths and leg openings can also differ. If you follow the guidelines below – you’ll get that longer-and-leaner line that you are hoping for:
The correct skinny:
- Choose a skinny with a straighter leg and bypass those that have 5 inch leg openings.
- Choose one in a darker wash and with a medium rise.
- Make sure that there is enough length to your skinnies so that they “scrunch” at the bottom. This helps balance out your curvy hip and thigh area.
The correct top:
- Tunic lengths will work best (anywhere between mid thigh and just above the knee).
- Choose tunic lengths with sleeve volume – they offer a visual balance to narrow jeans.
- If you wear a shorter top – make sure that your top is ruched at the sides and ends just above your crotch point. Add a shorter layer over this longer length top to add interest.
- Make sure that your tops are tailored at your shoulders and torso – belted styles will also work well.
The correct shoe:
- A shoe or boot with a chunky high heel or wedge will look best. Tucking skinnies into boots will also help create a balance.
- Ballet flats are also an option – but adding a bit of height will always create a leaner look.
Curvier ladies who are sick of their boot cuts and flares will certainly be able to pull off wearing skinny jeans with style if they follow the rules. Watch out boyish racy rectangles!
Skinnies and tunics from Nordstrom that will work for curvy ladies.