As you may have already noticed, black is the “in” colour this season. It’s a somewhat somber colour for us all despite its smart, slimming and sophisticated qualities. Now that it’s back in all its gangster glory, it’s important to understand that it’s not easy to wear black from head to toe successfully. The key is to add interest and dimension to your all-black-ensemble. This will prevent you from looking flat, dull and sickly. By adding the design details of this season’s gothic glamour and ‘80’s urban punk chic moods – you’ll be able to create your head to toe black outfit correctly.
For interest and dimension:
- Add black patent accessories
- Add an item in an iridescent black fabric
- Add sheer patterned black hose
- Add accessories (shoes, bags, belts and jewelry) with plenty of metallic hardware
- Add a subtle pinstripe
- Select jackets/coats with shiny metallic buttons
- Select items with texture – like fake fur trims, jacquards, brocade, lacey ruffles, feathers, and stain ribbon
If you don’t look good in black, refrain from wearing it from head to toe. Wear your black items with red and grey instead. And even if you look good in it, beware of the black rut – it’s always refreshing to see some colour.