I spent last week at Nordstrom’s flagship Seattle store, helping my clients preselect fab items for their wardrobes. I also shopped for myself and hubs Greg. This was my 19th Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, and my 17th as a fashion stylist. Time flies!
Some Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (NAS) assortments are better than others. Sometimes you find treasures, and sometimes you don’t. If you’re lucky, you’ll tick items off your shopping list, enjoy wildcard purchases, or find those highly elusive items. Maybe you like to use the NAS to restock on wardrobe basics and homeware. Or maybe you prefer to skip the sale, leaving it to others to enjoy the NAS their way.
Go into the NAS with some sort of plan but keep an open mind because you never know how things will go, or what you will find. Keep expectations low, hope for the best, and relax into the process. Items often come back into stock, but if they don’t, don’t worry! There will be fabulous items with your name on them around the corner.
The strength of this year’s NAS was in footwear, jackets, handbags, and suiting. The knitwear, skirt, and dress assortments were disappointing. I’ll drill into wardrobe categories in detail later. In the meantime here are the top 25 items of the sale after my experiences. Be sure to browse the colour and size options too.
- Zella Powertek Full Zip Hoodie: ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING. Beautiful quality, well-made, polished, not slouchy, a neat and tidy fit, comfortable, and GORGEOUS detailing. And for $57! Hubs Greg got the navy and grey. The grey is especially stunning on my silver fox.
- Aquatalia Rozaria Knee High Boot (Women): I FOUND MY HEWI after 15 years. If you need a low-heeled, knee-high boot for NARROW calves and ankles - try this. Like most Aquatalia footwear, it runs narrower on the foot. Extremely comfortable for low-volume feet, WEATHERPROOF, versatile, and exquisite quality. Made in Italy. Some clients sized up half a size for a roomier toe box. My calf circumference is 13 inches and these are a PERFECT fit. That is a VERY rare thing.
- Adidas Originals Assorted 6-Pack No-Show Socks: Best almost no-show socks for men. They don't move, and aren't too thick.
- Kate Spade New York medium roulette pebble leather crossbody bag: A VERY sleek crossbody with a built-in comfy guitar strap. It's roomier than expected, and holds quite a bit. Zipper is soft. Lightweight, polished and comes in light blue. Strap is long enough for Team Tall. I got this in pink.
- SARTO By Franco Sarto Calista Kiltie Loafer (Women): Very comfy and lightweight on-trend loafer that comes in dark solids. It stayed on every client's foot. Comes in burgundy, black and navy.
- Cole Haan Danica Sneaker (Women): Best metallic sneaker at the NAS. Roomy, supportive, not too shiny, and very comfy. It fit a range of foot shapes. Comes in black.
- Munro Heath Chelsea Boot (Women): Best casual black boots at the NAS. Extremely LIGHTWEIGHT, comfy, supportive, and there is a side zipper that they do not show in the stock photos.
- PIKOLINOS Royal Water Resistant Bootie (Women): These were the most comfortable flat and casual booties at the sale. Roomy fit, well-made, and comes in black.
- Steve Madden Karmine Loafer (Women): The best chunky loafer at the NAS, but only if you like the statement gold hardware. I was shocked at their fabulous comfort level. No one slipped out of them either. Very lightweight, and comes in tan suede.
- Vionic Apron Toe Loafer (Women): An extraordinary dainty loafer with incredible arch support. It's astounding how well the loafer fit wider and narrower feet. Good for narrower heels too. Comes in wide widths, and in black and animal print.
- Wit & Wisdom 'Ab'Solution Skyrise Plaid Wide Leg Ponte Pants: These pants are INCREDIBLE. They fit every varying body type and look on-trend, elegant and chic. They worked extremely well on apple-shaped body types. They have stitched down front pleats which keep them sleek. Comes in solids and petite sizes so do the search. They are FULL LENGTH - not cropped. Might need to size down. Comes in solid black and brown. But the plaid looked best.
- Nordstrom Cashmere Crewneck Sweater: Affordable Cashmere Fabness. Comes in colours and size down.
- Halogen Lacy Sleeve Square Neck Sweater: A Dark Romance sweater that is unexpectedly forgiving and a good fit. The neckline covers bra straps and is not too low. You might need to size down. Comes in cream.
- SAVE THE DUCK Mei Faux Fur Collar Puffer Jacket: Italian Chic. The best hoodless puffer at the NAS and NOT DOWN to Save The Duck. Warm and insulating nonetheless. The faux fur collar looks VERY glam when it's zipped up. The tiny side slits are a great visual detail. Slightly A-line, and comes in burgundy. Works on petites and talls. Very popular with my clients. Handy double zipper too.
- SAVE THE DUCK Elvira Water Resistant Hooded Puffer Jacket: Italian Chic. This is a pearly oyster colour - not silver. It swings both warm and cool-toned. It runs a little smaller because of the the VERY cosy sherpa lining. The zipper zips up high so you don't need a scarf. Handy double zipper too. NOT DOWN to Save The Duck. Warm and insulating nonetheless. Streamlined despite the sherpa lining. Very popular with my clients. Works on Team Tall too.
- COACH Polished Pebble Leather Crossbody Bag: Best VERSATILE bag at the NAS. Looks as casual as it does dressy. The handle and strap come off. Roomy and sleek. Not too big. Impeccable quality. Comes in black and mustard.
- Thread & Supply Crop Corduroy Vest: Architectural Vest Fabness for $25. Well made, cosy, and a great layering piece. The waist toggles give it a nice shape. Comes in grey and mustard.
- KUT from the Kloth Chantria Puff Shoulder Faux Suede Jacket: Washable Suede Jacket Fabness. The puffy sleeves are a trendy '70s and interesting touch. Jacket comes in grey and looks fab over dresses.
- Nordstrom Leather Moto Jacket: If you like your leather jackets a little longer - this is the best leather jacket at the sale. It's fluidly tailored, and not that fitted through the waist. Stretchy sleeve panels are comfy. Nice back detailing. Comes in cream and black. Works well on petites. Sleeves are easy to shorten.
- Theory Fairfield Stripe Riding Blazer: If you're after a stretchy and soft classic blazer that looks VERY polished and sharp - try this. It has matching narrow cropped pants to create a suit. Might need to size up.
- Thread & Supply Plaid Long Polar Fleece Shacket: Cosy Shacket Fabness for Team Tall with POCKETS. Something you can wear at home or out, and comes in neutrals.
- Vince Camuto Plaid Double Breasted Longline Blazer: This jacket was a delightful surprise. It's dramatically long, and drapes well. Very comfy and reasonably tailored. The low-contrast check is easy to wear, and has matching pants to create a suit. It worked as well on petites as it did on tall clients. Super funky, and fab with jeans too.
- Vionic Lynda Slingback Flat (Women): The best slingback at the sale. Comfy, supportive, pretty, and does not slip off your feet. Comes in black.
- NYDJ Pleated Yoke Long Sleeve Peasant Blouse: This blouse was an astounding success in all four patterns because it looks great, is easy to wear and launder, and does not crease. It hangs well and not like an unattractive tent. The pintucks are a great structuring detail. SIZE DOWN at least a size. Some clients sized down two sizes.
- Treasure&Bond Flare Denim Pants: If you're after a pair of trouser jeans that are comfy, polished, dressier, and not too rigid - try these. They work well with sneakers, and fit a range of body types.
You can see the descriptions alongside the items on the collection page.