Stripes were mentioned often in a recent forum discussion about our favourite patterns. They continue to look fresh from season to season because of their enormous variety and the creative ways they are incorporated into wardrobe items and outfits. They can be subtle, bold, tonal, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, pin, rugby, racing, Breton, jailbird, tuxedo or chevron. There’s a stripe for everyone.
I’m particularly impressed with the 1901’s Back Button Crew Neck Sweater that I recently purchased in navy and a black & white stripe. The striped and solid versions are both wardrobe essentials, functioning like a tee. They are excellent layering tops, and SUPER soft. They’re cotton-rich and fab if you’re allergic to wool. They’re delicate and might need a quick press after laundering to create a polished effect. Gently fluid, versatile and extremely comfortable.
On to to the rest of the top picks that satisfy a range of weather conditions, colours, fabrics and silhouettes.
- Geox Geox Asheely Bootie (Women) | Nordstrom: Geox is an Italian brand of footwear that's generally good quality and comfortable. These haute hiking boots are not leather, but very sturdy. Fun with olive pants. Comes in burgundy.
- Madewell Madewell Stripe Turtleneck Sweatshirt | Nordstrom: Earthy Sweatshirt Fabness. When did you last see a cinnamon-coloured sweatshirt? I can't recall. Fluid, tailored at the welt, good on a short waist, and nicely made.
- GOLA Gola Coaster Rainbow Striped Sneaker (Women) | Nordstrom: Rainbow Sneaker Fabnes. Lots of colours and good reviews. Might run half a size big.
- Halogen Halogen Belted Blouson Sleeve Blouse (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: An elegant and pretty belted blouse for Team Hourglass & Pear. Gorgeous on those who like to define their waist, and fab worn over high-waisted pants and jeans. Read the rave reviews.
- Paul Smith Paul Smith Harley Swirl Odd Socks | Nordstrom: Statement socks to make you smile. I dare you to create a pattern-mixed outfit with these.
- Boden Brecon Puffer Coat: GORGEOUS quality puffer with a fairly streamlined yet roomy fit and fun sporty racing stripes. Comes in three colours. Machine washable.
- KENDALL + KYLIE KENDALL + KYLIE Pinstripe Jacket with Removable Hood | Nordstrom: A Veronica Beard lookalike at a fraction of the price. Fluid, straight, and works on a range of body types. You have to love grey and enjoy a Tomboy look to like the vibe.
- Boden Bella Cashmere Hoodie: A refined casual cashmere hoodie with a gently fluid fit to wear as is or layered under a blazer. Fab quality and flattering fit. Polished. The grey is effectively brightened by the multi-coloured stripes.
- Boden Tilly Roll Neck Sweater: AMAZING classic tailored turtleneck that is forgiving of muffin top because of substantial yet soft fabric. Fabulous fabric. Cotton-rich and good for those who are allergic to wool. Excellent for pattern mixing, and works straight into Spring with white jeans. The navy stripe is mine. Comes in solid colours.
- Boden Muriel Sweater: Fit is perfectly fluid, JUST like how you see it on the model in the striped version. Very good structure on the neckline, shoulders, upper arms, cuffs and welt - which makes all the difference. I do not think it runs big if you want it to fit fluidly LIKE THE MODEL. You need long arms to wear the style because the blouson silhouette can overwhelm. Soft and not too thick, and with a neat and tidy neckline. Works on a range of bust sizes. The stripe is bold. Not good on petites unless you have regular proportions up top. Read the rave reviews.
- Boden Jersey Midi Skirt: A Summery striped midi to wear casually with a tank, tee and sneakers. Excellent on a curvy figure. Read the rave reviews.
- Karen Millen Faux Fur Colourblock Jacket: A little daytime '70s Disco for 2018. Luxe and cuddly. Great quality. NOT streamlining, but very dramatic, on-trend, and packs a punch. The short length gives it some structure.
- DvF DVF Stripe Faux Fur Jacket | Nordstrom: An unusual colour combination in a unique vertical stripe, which reminds me a little of a school blazer. Wildly '70s with a modern touch. Bulky, yet super soft and cosy. Nice over midi dresses.
- Converse Converse Chuck Taylor All Star CT 70 Street Warmer High Top Sneaker (Women) | Nordstrom: A repeat Converse style with a refreshing new watermelon stripe. Fleece-lined, VERY comfortable, cosy, and insulating. Excellent for cold-weather travel and urban walking. Good in gentle snow and on icy pavements too. Excellent traction on the soles. Works on a range of foot widths because the laces can be adjusted to fit the foot. Comes in black.
- VAGABOND SHOEMAKERS Vagabond Mya Side Stripe Bootie (Women) | Nordstrom: I haven't seen these booties in person yet but the red stripe caught my eye. Better than basic, and could look fun with an all-black outfit.
- RACHEL RACHEL ROY RACHEL Rachel Roy Gwen Crop Pants (Plus Size) | Nordstrom: Streamlined dressy culottes with a trendy high rise. Good on a range of body types. The tuxedo stripes add interest and vertical integrity.
- The Office Of Angela Scott The Office of Angela Scott Mr. Smith Stripe Oxford (Women) | Nordstrom: STUNNING quality shoes with busloads of Tomboy charm. Comfortable after a few wears after moulding to the foot. Comes in a grey stripe.
- Boden Berwick Sweater: Crisp shocking pink striped sleeves look fresh against a solid body. Well made, and runs a little big. Great on broad shoulders. Comes in three colours.
- Boden Arundel Puffer Jacket: Bold Striped Puffer Fabness for those who wear cool colours. Beautiful quality, streamlined, and fashionably sporty. Practical, comfy and fun. This would be mine if it came in warm colours.
- Boden Claudia Ponte Midi Dress: Elegant and gorgeous in motion. Fabric with heft and great drape. Best suited to hourglass, pear and rectangle body types. Four interesting colour combinations.
- Boden Ellie Sweater: This Modern Retro pullover is stunning if you like a gently fluid fit and a playful neckline. Beautifully made, soft, and versatile. It could not fit me more perfectly in navy. A little roomier on me than on the model, but still an impeccable fit. It’s versatile because you can pair it with most bottoms, AND it works on a range of body types. Quite forgiving on the midsection. The structured neckline makes it work on long and short necks, and multiple bust sizes. The neckline looks bulky but it’s not. It layers under jackets, coats and scarves surprisingly well. PRETTY.
- Pilcro And The Letterpress | Anthropologie Pilcro High-Rise Relaxed Straight Jeans: This is one of the more current silhouettes of jeans with their cropped roomier hems and high rise. They have worked on straighter and curvier body types. Forgiving, good fit, comfortable and great quality. They do not stretch out. The one pair has fun orange piping down the side.
- PIKOLINOS PIKOLINOS Vicar Boot (Women) | Nordstrom: Tough boots with a sporty stripe. A little Punk, a little Prep, a little Rock 'n Roll, and a whole lot of comfort. Spanish boots that work on a variety of foot shapes.
- Pam & Gela Pam & Gela Stripe Scuba Knit Track Pants | Nordstrom: '70s Sporty Fabness. Best on a straighter body type. Create a fun juxtaposition with a dressy support act.
- CeCe Bow Detail Striped Cotton Sweater | Nordstrom: Fab pullover for a curvy top half. Good striped top for a larger bust because of the gently scooped neckline. Not super soft, but not itchy at all.
- Boden Cashmere Crew Sweater: Gorgeous gently fluid fit and yummy refined quality. Love the way it drapes and glides over the contour of the body. Forgiving of muffin top. The colours of these stripes are cooler-toned in person.
- Halogen Halogen Long Sleeve Modal Blend Tee (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: A simple and soft basic tee with a great scoop neck for broader shoulders and/or a larger bust. Comes in a navy and grey stripe. Not as clingy as it looks. Plenty of length for tall girls.
- Zara Tweed Shirt With Stripes: A tweed stripe on an oversized shirt has boyish charm. This one looks best with a semi-tuck.
Go to the collection page to see pictures of the items alongside my descriptions.