Apart from the gingham dress at the end, these patterns are what I call “moody” because they are as happy and cheerful, as they are strict and heavy. They have a literal and figurative darkness to them that is neither sweet nor light-hearted, but they have a substance and richness that’s appealing.
I’ve seen most of the items in person, and some of them worked well on my clients. The Boden Eleanor Dress in cherry gingham earned a spot in my wardrobe.
- Massimo Dutti Pleated Shirt With Floral Print: A dramatic trapeze blouse with a party of pleating at the back. It's machine washable, and bra friendly. Very well made. It works just fine with a black bra and camisole straps peeking through the sheer yoke. Voluminous yet refined and drapey. Elegant. It would have been mine if the colours weren't as cool-toned. Quality item.
- Vince Camuto Poetic Dots Sleeveless V-Neck Blouse: Clients rave about these shells because the V-neck is flattering. A great blouse to layer under blazers, but runs a size big. Crease-resistant and polished.
- Chaus Dot Print Bell Sleeve Blouse: Fun top for a curvy body type and larger bust. It's surprisingly streamlining on an apple-shaped body type.
- INC International Concepts Polka-Dot Sweater, Created for Macy's: An easy pullover to throw on and go. Streamlined. Read the rave reviews.
- Massimo Dutti Floral Print Silk Shirt With Bow Detail: An unusal shape blouse and floral pattern. The voluminous sleeves drape and taper back on the wrist. The ties at the wrist can be shortened so that they aren't fussy. Best on those who can fill it out. Not for petites, and overwhelmed my frame.
- Rebecca Taylor Ikat Floral Stretch Silk Pants: Gorgeous drapey palazzo pants that work best on a curvy figure with a defined waist and longer torso if you're going to showcase the waistband. Works just fine on a shorter waist if you wear untucked tops and cover the waistband.
- Ann Taylor Winter Floral Puff Sleeve Shift Dress: Little Black Dress Lite. I like the asymmetrical floral pattern. A frock that can be worn as a dress or as a tunic over cropped straights or flares. Runs a size big, and suits a range of body types. Sleeves are more voluminous in person. Structured, but not tailored. Unlined, but great drape and nice fabric.
- Caslon Print Scarf: If you like cool colours, this is a great Spring scarf. It's big so best on a taller gal, or be prepared for scarf volume.
- City Chic Misty Floral Cold Shoulder Top: Gorgeously streamlined cold shoulder top. Fab placement of the floral pattern that creates the effect of a diagonal line. Read the rave reviews.
- Massimo Dutti Flocked Polka Dot Shirt With Gathering Detail: A flocked micro polka dot blouse with Edwardian sleeves that layer quite well under a jacket. Voluminous so best tucked or semi-tucked.
- Anuschka Handbags 551 Medium Expandable Convertible Tote: A hand-painted leather bag is unique, and this one is for Team Pink & Purple. Arty and streamlined.
- Zara Embellished City Bag: Graphic Polka Dot Crossbody Fabness. The wide strap is extra comfortable.
- Ted Baker London Ornate Opulent Fauna Bomber: Beautifully made Sporty Luxe bomber jacket with an interesting bird pattern. Comes in black. Might run a size small. A quality item.
- Boden Eleanor Dress: Impeccable quality CASUAL shirt dress with side entry pockets. It's fluid on the waist but structured on the shoulder and hips. Perfect for a hot Summer's day. As fun worn as a tunic over cropped straights. Best on a straighter figure, narrower hip, or apple-shaped body type. Can work well on a larger bust. Goes up to a US18. Comes in regular and long, AND in blue gingham. The red is a shade of watermelon. I love this happy and very crisp Summer dress, and don't mind one bit that I look like a Modern Retro tablecloth when wearing it.
Visit the collection page to see the items alongside my descriptions.