A modern classic lace pencil skirt is a versatile party separate that can be remixed with different support acts occasion after occasion. Traditional pairings include a tucked button-down shirt or silky blouse, a sparkly sweater, or silk camisole with tuxedo jacket. These combinations have longevity and are always in style.
Now think out of the box and pair the classic with a good dose of modern by matching it with on-trend and fashion forward tops. That way you can have even more fun with a romantic lace pencil skirt.
Choose any colour palette. Here are the components of the outfit formula:
Lace Pencil Skirt: Black lace pencil skirts are the most available, but I’ve also seen them in navy, ink blue, burgundy, shades of grey, shades of white, and taupe. They come in knits and wovens and vary substantially in quality. I vote for a woven lace pencil skirt because it tends to look more polished, dressy and crisp. Furthermore, make sure you like the visual effect of the lining. A version with a contrast lining showcases the pattern of the lace thereby making it look like a printed skirt (version on the right). A self-colour lining creates a subtler lace texture (version on the left).
Trendy Tops: Here you have many options, most of which you would wear untucked:
- Fuzzy Pullover: The texture complements the lace. Choose a fluid fit.
- Oversized Chunky Pullover: Super fashion forward and all the rage. Choose a solid or a pattern, cropped or regular length, and scrunch the sleeves for extra structure.
- Short-Sleeved Turtleneck: A little retro and divine in soft cashmere.
- Shirt and Tie: Match a tailored button-down shirt or tuxedo shirt with a men’s necktie or bow tie. Wear the necktie loosely tied, either inside or outside the collar.
- Leather Top: Think leather paneled sweatshirt or leather shell top. A little hard leather with pretty lace is a fun combination.
- Graphic T-shirt: Combining casual with dressy items in one outfit to create unexpected juxtapositions is a trend that is defining our fashion era. WHY NOT choose a graphic tee that is close to your heart. Tuck it into the skirt if it’s not fitted, and add the bling.
Footwear: I deliberately left boots and booties off the ensemble because they aren’t formal options. I vote dressy heeled pumps, ankle strap pumps, or dainty and dressy slipper flats. High vamped ankle strap shoes are extra fashion forward, and T-strap pumps are fun and retro.
Accessories: A small clutch is essential. After all, this is a party. Finish off the outfit with watch, eyewear and jewellery as desired. It’s especially effective to pile on the bling if you are wearing the graphic tee or leather top.
Top off the outfit with a wool coat, trench coat, dressy evening coat, faux fur coat, or moto jacket. By all means wear hose for extra insulation. Sheer black hose is pretty flop proof, as are a pair of fine gauge black fishnets. A subtle pin dot can be lovely, or stick to nude hose.