Fall has settled in and Winter is on its way, so this week’s roundup is all about having fun with outerwear. There are many styles of coats that are ageless classics, but today I’m focused on styles that are a little more retro, avant-garde, sporty or fashion forward.
- DKNY Cutaway Military Coat: Structured yet roomy, and I dare you to sport the white. Warning: the front cutaway is not insulating and there are no side entry pockets.
- Via Spiga Leopard Pattern Topper: Fun and fitted. Super side entry pockets and looks great worn both open and closed. Although this style is usually suited to a well-endowed torso, the cutline across the chest on this particular design is awkward on a large bust.
- Ellen Tracy Contrast Yoke Wool Blend Coat: Practical and interesting. I love the diagonal colour blocking on both the front and the back. The collar folds down in front for a further interesting colour blocked effect.
- Free People Sargent Plaid Coat: The coat is grungier in real life, and pretty casual. Great for Team Rough Around the Edges if you like tartan and mixed media.
- Soia & Kyo Hooded Wool Blend Coat and Leather Belt: This was WOW on one of my hourglass clients who has a large bust line. Extremely tailored and well made. It’s a heavy and very warm coat, because it has a double wool layer in front. Fab hood too.
- Topshop Vinyl Coat: Festive for mild Winter weather and one way to sport round shoulders.
- Ivanka Trump Pleat Collar Coat: Great for a short neck and full bust. Nice and long, and a little retro. Fab in deep red.
- Kristen Blake Two Tone Wool Blend Walking Coat: Sporty, slimming and streamlined.
- Vince Wool Blend Coat: Avant-garde, slightly round shouldered, and impeccable quality. It’s oversized and cocoon-esque, but beautifully tailored on the shoulder line and sleeves. The closures provide a few ways to wear the style. Simply stunning.
- Topshop Teddy Faux Fur Peacoat: Cozy Grunge Boho. Divine.
- Topshop Wilma Oversized Boyfriend Coat: A more affordable way to wear the oh-so-trendy cocoon and round shouldered coat style. Oversized fabness.
Remember to correctly layer under a coat when assessing its fit. There is no point in purchasing a coat that looks great over a thin T-shirt. The coat needs to fit comfortably over thicker and multiple layers.