Fashion evolves. Our bodies and lifestyles change constantly, and with them the contents of our wardrobe. Updating, replacing and duplicating clothing, footwear and accessories is a way of life. But alongside the items in our wardrobe that will only last for one season, there are others that have lasted a lot longer. Today we pay tribute to these wardrobe golden oldies.
These are the rules:
- The items must be purchased first hand by you, or by someone else for you
- Thrift store items, vintage pieces and hand-me-downs don’t count
- Old items and sentimental pieces that you don’t wear don’t count
I’ll go first:
- Diesel denim jacket: It’s 8 years old and I’ve had it completely altered. Now that it looks updated, it’s back in full stylish swing. I am never giving this jacket away. It’s going to end up in someone else’s closet as a vintage piece when I’m 85.
- Prada handbag: It’s 10 years old and virtually looks new. It’s black, silver studded and the “baguette” style that was all the rage in the 90’s. I used to sport it all the time when it was new because it was my favourite piece back then. Today I have lots of favourites so it comes out less often. It’s still quite the show piece and attracts loads of attention.
- Chanel handbag: It’s 13 years old and was a gift from a manufacturer during my days as a fashion buyer. It seldom comes out to play. This is not the Chanel bag I’d have personally selected, but it’s a beautiful classic piece that will never date. I hope to use it more as I get older.
Now it’s your turn. What are some of the oldest items in your closet that are still in stylish circulation?