Here are seven skinny and straight leg jeans styles with subtle tonal patterns, which work well in refined casual outfits based on dark neutrals. Keep the tops and toppers tonal in shades of grey, blue and black, or throw in some white to brighten up the look.
- Banana Republic Flocked Skinny Jeans: These run true to size and fit pretty well. The fabric is thick, structured, and not too stretchy. They would be mine if they weren’t ankle length, although I might reconsider and wear them tucked into tall boots.
- Two by Vince Camuto Jacquard Skinny Jeans: Super, super soft and don’t feel like denim on the body. Much less rigid than the Banana Republic jeans, and a lot cozier too. The rise is quite high, and there is plenty of stretch in the waistband. Runs true to size, and full length. Personally, I prefer a stiff and rigid fit in jeans, but many of my clients like the soft and cozy comfort of this type of pant. They resemble denim from afar, but feel like pajamas.
- Two by Vince Camuto Coated Print Skinny Jeans: I was surprised that the waxed finish on these jeans was NOT hard and rubbery. In fact, they are soft. Fitted through the leg but roomy on the waist and tummy area — although the photo does not suggest that fit. These are one alternative to camouflage print.
- Gap 1969 Always Floral Jeans: Fab if the cropped length is not an issue. Stiff and very little stretch. Love that. Read the rave reviews.
- Zara Flock Jeans: Super thick and cozy. The rises are very high, which put me off because I prefer low rise jeans. But it’s just what the doctor ordered for others, which might make it a great fit for you. Again, the length is cropped so consider yourself warned. Runs small.
- NYDJ Sheri Print Skinny Stretch Jeans: Girdling on the midriff and also more subtle than camo print. Nice full length.
- NYDJ Sheri Print Stretch Jeans (Plus): These are the most subtle pattern of the lot and a repeat style from last year. I have many happy clients in this style because the fit is less tight through the leg, the pattern versatile, and the length ankle-covering. Also available in regular and petite sizes.
Slim cropped jeans are excellent candidates for tucking into tall and mid-calf boots because they don’t bunch at the ankle. A point to consider when bypassing ankle length jeans in Fall and Winter.