The knitwear at the NAS was disappointing, and there wasn’t a lot of it. Pullovers were few and far between, and cardigans reigned supreme. Too many items had overly long sleeves that are annoying, or exuberant sleeves that are hard to layer under coats and jackets. There was thankfully very little cheap and nasty cashmere, and quite a good colour assortment.
There were many more fab tops than sweaters at the sale, which is unusual. There was also a good T-shirt selection, which my clients gobbled up because good tees are hard to find.
IMPORTANT: Check whether the items are available in petite and plus because I’ve only provided the description in regular sizes. In some cases regular sizes can work on petites, and regular size ranges extend into larger sizes.
- Caslon Caslon Hooded Cardigan (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: If you stay at home, or have a very casual lifestyle, try this hooded cardigan. It suits most body types and is as soft as can be. The inner drawstring creates a little welcome structure, and all the colours are nice. Read the rave reviews.
- Halogen Halogen Open Front Pocket Cardigan (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: This is the BEST lightweight cardi at the sale. It worked on every client who enjoys cardigans - from 5ft o 6 ft across a range of body types - as long as it was layered over a sleeveless top or dress. Poppy, teal, purple and peach were the favourites.
- LEWIT Lewit Stripe Cashmere Blend Sweater | Nordstrom: STUNNING cropped pullover. It's beautifully fluid and tailored in the right places. Fab worn with a skirt or high-waisted jeans and pants. Best on a smaller bust, defined waist, and narrower shoulder line. Makes a huge statement. It's easier to layer with than you expect. I found the snaps on the shoulder cold against my skin so consider yourself warned. If there were no snaps or lilac stripe, it would be mine. Impeccable quality.
- Nordstrom Signature Nordstrom Signature Cashmere Blend Bouclé Hoodie Sweater | Nordstrom: A quality hoodie is a yummy shade of periwinkle. Fits a range of body types, and might run a little big. Casually Luxe.
- Nic + Zoe NIC+ZOE Symmetry Cotton Blend Sweater (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: This item surprised most by looking much better in person and on the body. Its A-line silhouette worked on most body types. The pockets are yummy, and the sleeve slits NOT annoying. Forgiving on the midsection. Somewhat structured, polished, yet very casual. The length was amazing on petites too. The black and white is just as fab. Impeccable quality.
- La Vie Rebecca Taylor La Vie Rebecca Taylor Puff Sleeve Stripe Sweater | Nordstrom: BEST designer stripe at the sale. Best suited to a regular bust, narrower shoulder line and longer neck. Glides over curves. Quite structured. Impeccable quality.
- Nic + Zoe NIC+ZOE Rooted Cowl Neck Cotton Blend Sweater | Nordstrom: This looked best on clients with shorter hair because the colour blocked cowl detailing is the best part. A warm oatmeal, very comfy, and NOT too slouchy.
- Eileen Fisher Eileen Fisher Long Tunic | Nordstrom: I LOVED this on my tall and shorter client over black skinny Ponte pants and black loafers. Elegant and arty. Must be worn with a camisole because of the vent. Yummy fabric, great drape, and glides over lumpage and bumpage. Pretty neckline too. Might need to size down.
- Halogen Halogen Detachable Sleeve Sweater (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: My vote for TRENDIEST and most quirky pullover at the sale. The ruffles are hectic, AND the sleeves zip off for a cold shoulder effect. A VERY fun piece and nice quality too. Best suited to narrower shoulders. I liked the stripe best. My client WOWED me in it, so much so that she got the green too. Fab with culottes and skirts. Works on a larger bust.
- Halogen Halogen Blouson Sleeve Long Cashmere Cardigan (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: This is for Team Tall With Long Ams since it overwhelmed everyone else. Bonus if you have broader shoulders. It was STUNNING on my tall clients in sizes US10 to 16 because you need to fill out the style for it to look fab. It comes in petites, which might be a better fit on regular heights.
- Topshop Topshop Mo Seam Detail Popper Sweater | Nordstrom: BEST cropped pullover at the sale. Amazing with skirts, culottes, and high-waisted jeans or pants. The bell sleeves are not bothersome, and all the colours are nice. Might run a size small. Snaps were NOT cold against the body.
- Topshop Topshop Popper Crew Sweater | Nordstrom: BEST body con pullover at the sale, and fabulous with flared skirts and culottes. Super soft fabric, and alluring forearm detailing that is easy to layer under a jacket or coat. It's TIGHT, so you have to be okay with showcasing the contour of your figure. It runs two sizes small. The US4 fits like a US0. I got this black to combine with a skirt.
- Theory Theory Adrianna Wool V-Neck Sweater | Nordstrom: One of the best V-necks at the sale, and in a lovely blue red. Refined and gorgeous quality. Looks great over trousers for work. Needs a camisole.
- Zella Zella Cashmere and Wool Hoodie | Nordstrom: A fabulous active cashmere hoodie that can be worn as regular casual wear. Lovely quality and runs a size big. The slits do a remarkable job of adding structure to the hemline. The navy is extra fab. Worked just fine on petites.
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Drama Bubble Sleeve Cotton Blend Cardigan | Nordstrom: I liked the Edwardian and '80s vibe of this cardigan because it looks fresh. It worked well on petites, and runs a size big. Quite nice quality.
- Eileen Fisher Eileen Fisher V-Neck Cashmere & Wool Tunic (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: This is for Team Tall. GORGEOUS on my almost 6ft tall size US14 client. All the colours are nice, and so is the quality. Excellent drape and not too slouchy as long as you can fill it out. Size down a size.
- Halogen Halogen Side Tie Cashmere Sweater (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: I'm not sure how the quality will hold out, but it looked great in store, and has a fun front-side vent with a tie. Best on taller gals and needs a camisole.
Here’s the collection page if you would like to see the items alongside my descriptions.
- Caslon Caslon Rounded V-Neck Tee (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: A fabulous tee in a lovely fabric with a pretty neckline. The stripes and darker colours are best. Good drape and worked on most body types.
- Zella Zella So Graceful Ruched Tee | Nordstrom: A great tee on a NON-curvy body type. Best on a smaller bust and straighter figure. Worked on narrow and broad shoulders. The white is not see-through. Size down.
- Michael Stars Michael Stars Blouson Top | Nordstrom: Super cute banded knit top that comes in one size. Fits a US 4 to 8. Best on broad shoulders.
- Caslon Caslon Twist Front Long Sleeve Tee (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: The diagonal lines of this tee create a flattering visual effect. Forgiving of lumpage and bumbage. Size down. The solids are nice too.
- Halogen Halogen Cotton Blend Boat Neck Top (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: A surprisingly good top in super soft yet substantial fabric. Remarkably, it works as well for hourglasses as it does for apple shaped body types. Great with flared skirts. Excellent on petites. Both colours are fab.
- Halogen Halogen V-Neck Tunic (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: BEST striped tee at the sale for a curvy figure with a larger bust. Good on a shorter neck too. Very flattering and gorgeous fabric. The rounded hems add a nice structured touch. None of the solids looked as good as the stripe.
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Bubble Drama Sleeve Tee (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: I loved this on my curvy clients with a defined waist - from size US4 to 18. Super flattering and quite forgiving on the midsection although it doesn't look that way. The sleeves work extremely well with a larger bust. Great layered under a vest. All the colours are nice.
- Halogen Halogen Crewneck Tee (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: A fab tee for the smaller bust and slightly pear shaped body type. Forgiving of midsection of extra bits. Nice fabric.
- J.Crew J.Crew Ruffle Sleeve Tee | Nordstrom: Preppy, fun and flirty. Cannot be layered with so it's a Summer top. Works well on both a curvy and straighter figure because of very substantial fabric in a cropped boxy cut. All the colours are nice. I got the green. Impeccable quality.
- Halogen Halogen Mock Neck Shell Top (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom:
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Garden Fleur Ruffle Neck Blouse (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: This is a good stand alone or layering top, AND worked unexpectedly well on many body types. It was an effective pop under cardigans and blazers. Both colours are nice. Size down.
- FRAME FRAME Smocked Ruffle Front Blouse | Nordstrom: Dainty, elegant and very trendy. Excellent over culottes, wide crops and with skirts. It's best on a longer neck. Beautifully made.
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Tiered Ruffle Sleeve Garden Floral Top (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Festive Fabness. Size down and wear it with skirts or cropped bottoms. Boxy, yet worked on most body types. Good drape. The red is as fab.
- Boss BOSS Ictana Ponte Top | Nordstrom: Beautifully formal tailored item that works well on a curvy figure with a larger bust. Forgiving of midsection extra bits. Gorgeous with a lace camisole peeking out the top. Impeccable quality.
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Pintuck Detail Top (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Fab layering shell for work travel. Looks great under jackets and cardigans. Size down.
- Halogen Halogen Pleated Top (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Super cute boho-lite shell that worked well under cardigans and blazers. The crystal pleating is fresh, and indestructible. Size down.
- Bobeau Bobeau Blouson Sleeve Top (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: A fab top for a curvy body type with a larger bust. A little clingy on the midsection, but not too bad. Best semi-tucked.
- Foxcroft Foxcroft Mono Stripe Sateen Shirt (Plus Size) | Nordstrom: AMAZING shirt on a larger bust, and Foxcroft does gorgeous fabric. The fit is genius since it works as well for an apple shape as it does for an hourglass. The diagonal stripe is magically streamlining. A quality piece.
Here’s the collection page if you would like to see the items alongside my descriptions.
NAS Top Picks by Category
This post is number 3 in a 6 part series:
- Jackets, Coats & Vests
- Knitwear & Tops (this post)
- Skirts, Pants and Jeans
- Accessories, Lounge & Active Wear
Also check out my introduction to the series, and the items I brought home from the sale. Be sure to also browse wardrobe basics like underwear, socks, loungewear, sleepwear, or workout wear if you like to use the sale to replenish those types of items at this time of year. Also lots of fun stuff in homeware. Good hunting and happy NAS!