It has been an incredible dress season, and there were some delightful winners at the sale. Retailers are finally understanding that we want dresses with coverage and tailoring in all the right places, and substantial fabrics with heft and drape. I came home with two dresses, but could have purchased more.
IMPORTANT: Check whether the items are available in petite and plus because I’ve only provided the description in regular sizes. In some cases regular sizes can work on petites, and regular size ranges extend into larger sizes.
- Eliza J Eliza J Ruffle Sleeve Sheath Dress | Nordstrom: A gorgeous dress on an hourglass, rectangle and inverted triangle body type. Extremely good on a larger bust. The sleeves look like little wings, but their long diagonal lines visually soften a broad shoulder line and decrease the size of the bust. Lots of fab colours and read the rave reviews.
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Scuba Sheath Dress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Super cute dress on a larger bust despite the high neckline. The wonderful diagonal lines of the colour blocking create a flattering effect on the contour of the body. They flatten a curve, AND add shape to a straight figure. Very clever. Might need to size down.
- LEWIT Lewit Asymmetrical Pleated Shirtdress | Nordstrom: Avant-Garde Fabness with a hint of Modern Retro. Best on a straighter figure with a smaller bust. Dress must fit fluidly.
- 1901 1901 Knit Midi Dress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: AMAZING dress on a narrow rectangle, hourglass, inverted triangle and gentle pear-shaped body type. Best on a smaller bust. Super cute back button detailing so fab with short hair. Weighty fabric and the stripes look best. Super soft and comfy. Gorgeous length. It will showcase your curves and that's FABULOUS.
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Asymmetrical Hem Scuba Crepe Dress | Nordstrom: Fun frock on a curvy body type like an hourglass or pretty pear with a larger bust. Good fit as long as you can fill out the top. Might feel too short in front on tall gals. Size down.
- 1901 1901 Wrapped Plaid Sheath Dress | Nordstrom: Elegantly suited to a rectangle or inverted triangle body type. Fitted and dressy. Feel free to wear it with pointy toe flats.
- 1901 1901 Stripe Shirtdress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: I LOVED this dress without the belt on my almost 6ft tall, size US14 curvy client with a larger bust. She rocked it over skinnies. I like the tie belt too.
- 1901 1901 Midi Shirtdress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: An AMAZING dress if you like the classics, a bit of prep, and a Modern Retro vibe. The volume on the skirt is sleek and streamlined despite the gathers, and the fit is VERY comfortable. Lovely fabric and a scrumptious fit AS LONG AS YOU LIKE TO DEFINE YOUR WAIST. It can be dressed down with flats like you see in the photo, and I prefer the sleeves scrunched. The bow makes the dress to my eye so don't remove the belt. Comes in five colours. The navy followed me home. Very, very pretty dress WITH POCKETS. Now I want all the colours.
- Maggy London Ruched Waist Midi Dress: BEST DRESS AT THE SALE if you like florals, enjoy sleeves, wear black patterns, adore midis, and like to define your waist. Extremely elegant, pretty, streamlining and flattering. Brilliant swoosh factor. Comes in many sizes and goes up to plus. TTS. Everyone who tried it on loved the silhouette, but the pattern is an acquired taste. Length is slightly longer on me, but not much. It followed me home.
- Halogen Halogen Short Sleeve Ruffle Hem Dress (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: This is ADORABLE on petites in the patterns, and fun as a tunic over cropped straights too. Indestructible, does not crease, and easy to wear. Size down a lot.
Here’s the collection page if you would like to see the items alongside my descriptions.
NAS Top Picks by Category
This post is number 4 in a 6 part series:
- Jackets, Coats & Vests
- Knitwear & Tops
- Dresses (this post)
- Skirts, Pants and Jeans
- Accessories, Lounge & Active Wear
Also check out my introduction to the series, and the items I brought home from the sale. Be sure to also browse wardrobe basics like underwear, socks, loungewear, sleepwear, or workout wear if you like to use the sale to replenish those types of items at this time of year. Also lots of fun stuff in homeware. Good hunting and happy NAS!