The coat assortment is normally a NAS highlight, but the jacket assortment beat it hands down. Too many of the coats were scratchy or ran overly large, despite super fab silhouettes. When a size US6 wears an XS, the smaller sizes have nowhere to go and that’s problematic. The good news is that there was colour and silhouette variety across the board. Pendleton continues to honour their commitment to quality without the designer price point, and faux leather is as fabulous as ever.
IMPORTANT: Check whether the items are available in petite and plus because I’ve only provided the description in regular sizes. In some cases regular sizes can work on petites, and regular size ranges extend into larger sizes.
- Blanc Noir Blanc Noir Faux Leather Hooded Moto Jacket | Nordstrom: A hard-edged active moto hybrid. Super sleek, soft and comfortable. Streamlined and works best on long arms. Great on a long torso and smaller bust, but can work on a larger bust. Looks fine unzipped.
- BLANKNYC BLANKNYC Cloud Nine Drape Jacket | Nordstrom: The drapey jacket fastens in front to create a cowled asymmetrical effect. VERY soft and comfy. Best over a sleeveless top.
- Blanc Noir Blanc Noir Down Jacket | Nordstrom: A fun and very fitted athletic lightweight puffer with super cute back detailing. Runs small. Wear it with casual wear, or create a Sporty Luxe vibe with a black lace skirt or dressy frock.
- Michael MICHAEL Michael Kors Diamond Quilted Hybrid Hooded Jacket | Nordstrom: A jacket fit that works on a range of body types. Long sleeves for long arms, and with a removable hood. A drawstring can be cinched to create waist definition. Flattering high-low hemline.
- 1901 1901 Puckered Plaid Blazer (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Very fitted and flattering blazer for a narrower frame - or size up for a regular fit. Gorgeous fabric, although it's a Summery seersucker. Well made, and has matching wide cropped pants that run small.
- Blanc Noir Blanc Noir Traveler Wrap Jacket | Nordstrom: Athleisure Fabness. Very comfortable, good on tall gals, and lovely back waist definition. Fits a range of body types. Must have long arms. The grey is as nice.
- KUT from the Kloth KUT From the Kloth Haddie Faux Suede Moto Jacket (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Super cute faux suede moto that is as soft as can be. Machine washable and very comfortable. Runs big so size down. Works on most body types and comes in three colours. Great on petites.
- Caslon Caslon Leather Moto Jacket with Removable Hood (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: AMAZING casual leather jacket that was a bomb on petites, especially. Works well on a curvier and straighter body type. Hood is removable.
- Vince Camuto Vince Camuto Ruched Sleeve Mini Houndstooth Jacket (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: The photo does not do the jacket justice. It has a MUCH sleeker fit, is KNITTED for comfort, and sports the trendy new longer blazer length. The sleeves can be scrunched a little further up the arm for extra structure. It was in most cases an unexpected love when a client tried it on. Polished, crisp, crease-resistant and machine washable. TRY it if you want to wear a very comfortable blazer.
- AVEC LES FILLES Avec Les Filles Faux Shearling Biker Jacket | Nordstrom: Amelia Earhart Chic. BEST fashion-forward jacket at the NAS. Extremely trendy, and comes in black AND plus sizes. Oversized and very fun. Suits most body types if you're prepared to wear an oversized look. Belt can be removed. I LOVED the brown and cream, but the black is fably hard-edged.
- Theory Theory Sculpted Chevron Jacket | Nordstrom: The photo does not do the jacket justice. It's beautifully made, and tailored in the extreme. Very comfy, and best over sleeveless tops or dresses. It's very grey, so you have to be okay with that. Impeccable quality.
- Theory Theory Stretch Cotton Power Jacket | Nordstrom: The trendiest blazer at the sale, and a beauty. It's a luscious blue red, magnificently tailored, and padded at the shoulders. The longer length is oh-so in and the velvet is heavenly. A showstopper, and sufficiently formal with trousers and a shell top. Runs narrow if you need a regular fit.
- Vince Vince Collarless Leather Jacket | Nordstrom: The best leather jacket for a petite apple or rectangle with little waist definition. It WOWED me when a petite apple-shaped client tried it on in black. Not good on a curvy gal with a defined waist, but can work on a straight inverted triangle.
- Chelsea28 Chelsea28 Stitch Detail Suede Jacket | Nordstrom: '70s Fabness. A lightweight super soft suede jacket with pretty gathers at the crown of the sleeve. Best on narrow shoulders. Fluid yet shaped by good drape. LOVE the colour.
- Halogen Halogen Raw Edge Tweed Jacket (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: One of the most fun jackets at the sale. Suits a curvier and a straighter figure, and covers a rainbow of colours. The tweed is soft, classic and pretty, but the exaggerated fringe throws in a playful and mischievous element. Quite maximal.
- Theory Theory Sanda L Lamb Suede Moto Jacket | Nordstrom: A beautifully made short moto for high-waisted pants, skirts and dresses. The cobalt is richer in person. Runs narrow if you need a regular fit. Impeccable quality.
- Nic + Zoe NIC+ZOE Fringe Pop Jacket | Nordstrom: An easy and comfy pop-over jacket at a flattering length. Worked well on petites. Fab on a larger bust and shorter neck. The burgundy is as nice. Runs roomy.
- AVEC LES FILLES Avec Les Filles Faux Fur Lined Plaid Biker Jacket | Nordstrom: Fun aviator meets moto hybrid in a rich plaid with unusual cinnamon trim. Best suited to straighter figures and inverted triangles. Well made. DIFFERENT.
- BB Dakota BB Dakota Gabrielle Faux Leather Asymmetrical Jacket | Nordstrom: An affordable waterfall faux leather jacket that works as well on apple shapes as it does on curvy hourglasses and pear shapes. GREAT fit on a larger bust.
- BLANKNYC BLANKNYC Meant to Be Moto Jacket | Nordstrom: BEST faux fur jacket at the sale. Adorable and robust. The faux leather is amazing, substantial and does not have an odd odour. The fit is small if you need a regular fit, but runs TTS when you need a narrow fit. It works surprisingly well on petites. Good arm length. Teal is the winner, but all three colours are nice - (there is a blush in stores).
- Treasure&Bond Treasure & Bond Blanket Plaid Cape | Nordstrom: Quite the statement on those who enjoy an avant-garde look. Bright, oversized and architectural. Best on Team Tall.
- Halogen Halogen Boiled Wool Blend Moto Jacket (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: An interesting oversized WOOLLY moto jacket that looks smashing with a cashmere scarf in the same colour. Trendy. Size down, and it is SUPPOSED to look oversized.
- Kristen Blake Kristen Blake Hooded Rain Jacket (Plus Size) | Nordstrom: A casual classic in a comfortable fit, length and fabric. Flattering and radiant in colour. Might needs to size up.
- S13/NYC S13 Kylie Metallic Quilted Jacket with Removable Hood | Nordstrom: Sleek, shiny, warm, and runs small. You can wear this with just about anything these days - from leggings, joggers and jeans, to pretty dresses and tulle skirts. Go Team Interesting Juxtaposition.
- Mackage Mackage Water Repellent Down Jacket | Nordstrom: Gorgeous short puffer in a longer length. The forest green tartan gets my top pick. Best on those with broader shoulders. Streamlined fit despite the puff. Very warm. Impeccable quality.
- Halogen Halogen Bonded Tweed Asymmetrical Zip Jacket (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: A fab corporate jacket in a crisp cut and very substantial fabric. Fully lined and suits a range of body types. $65.
- Halogen Halogen Leather Moto Jacket | Nordstrom: GORGEOUS pearl leather jacket with a cream sheen. Works on both apple and curvy hourglass body types. Looks like a designer piece. Works well on petites. Impeccable quality.
- Nordstrom Signature Nordstrom Signature Lace Surplus Jacket | Nordstrom: A beautiful jacket that combines a military integrity with pretty lace. Clever juxtaposition. Works as well on tall ladies as it does on regular height gals. Fitted, crisp and best on a regular and smaller bust. I don't usually like chest pockets, but these work well. Impeccable quality.
- Halogen Halogen Double Breasted Blazer (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Fab trendy LONG pinstripe blazer that worked on almost every client and therefore across the board. Nice tailored fit and VERY soft fabric and lining. Feels like flannel PJs. Great on petites in a petite size. Lightweight and layers well under a coat. All the options are nice, but the navy pinstripe is the most striking.
- Sam Edelman Sam Edelman Oversize Faux Shearling Moto Jacket | Nordstrom: I have not seen this in person, but it looks interesting, and I trust the brand enough to suggest it. Looks like it is supposed to be oversized - aviator style.
- Nordstrom Signature Nordstrom Signature Elbow Patch Plaid Stretch Wool Jacket | Nordstrom: BEST equestrian plaid blazer at the sale. Gorgeous tailored fit, fun elbow patches, new trendy longer length, and beautiful drape. Skews both hot and cold in colour palette. Impeccable quality.
Here’s the collection page if you would like to see the items alongside my descriptions.
Coats & Vests
- Pendleton Pendleton Fargo Duster | Nordstrom: Lumber Jack Fabness. One of my favourite coats at the sale. It drapes beautifully, and the attention to detail makes me giddy. STUNNING fabric and workmanship. Amazing side entry pockets, inside phone pocket, cosy quilting, and immaculate rounded hems. Nobody liked it - until they tried it on! Size down. Impeccable quality.
- AVEC LES FILLES Avec Les Filles Double Face Plaid Wool Blend Coat | Nordstrom: An oversized coat in a refreshing brown check. It's long and best on Team Tall. The inside has fun shocking pink piping. I was sized out in the XS, but really wanted it. Gorgeous fabric and well made. Runs big.
- Mural Mural Blazer Midi Coat | Nordstrom: A super cute classic that wants to be worn with white sneakers. Well made and $85. Runs a little big but is also supposed to fit VERY fluidly.
- SOSKEN Sosken Quilted A-Line Jacket | Nordstrom: BEST architectural puffer at the sale. The photo does not do the coat justice. It's a Scandinavian design with side zippers that drape in the very best way. It WOWED me. For those with a long neck and long arms only. A trapeze cut that is genially streamlined. Works on a larger bust. Impeccable quality.
- London Fog London Fog Heritage Modern Trench Coat | Nordstrom: A STUNNING shade of antique pink and a quality piece in a classic silhouette. Works well on curvy figures.
- Eileen Fisher Eileen Fisher Plaid Alpaca Blend Coat (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Masculine, super soft and beautifully made. Fluid and very straight - yet can work on a curvier figure. NOT scratchy despite the alpaca wool, and comes in petites.
- Badgley Mischka Badgley Mischka Faux Leather Trim Wool Blend Coat | Nordstrom: Classic Belted Chic. Best on those who like to define their waist. Rich and lovely. Easy to drive in length.
- Pendleton Pendleton Pearl Coat | Nordstrom: Farm Fashionista Chic. Runs big, has amazing diagonal plaid patch pockets, and is fab with a pair of tall chunky boots worn over skinnies. Impeccable quality.
- Halogen Halogen Faux Fur Coat | Nordstrom: The BEST poodle coat at the sale. A yummy and different shade of salmon. It works on a range of body types and was good on broad shouldered petites with long arms too. Well made.
- Mackage Mackage Flat Wool Knit Collar Coat | Nordstrom: BEST tailored coat at the sale. Fitted and chic. Best on straighter figures and hourglasses. Must want to define your waist. Narrow fit. Impeccable quality.
- Mural Oversize Midi Coat: This coat WOWED me for the price. It's synthetic, and feels lovely against the skin. Good architectural drape. It's a brilliant shade of toffee, and the buttons are rich. Cocoon-shaped and an excellent length. I was sized out of the smallest size, or it might have earned a place in my wardrobe.
- Halogen Halogen Faux Suede Front Drape Trench Coat (Plus Size) | Nordstrom: Chocolate brown looks FRESH. Comes in regular and plus sizes and works best on those who can fill it out. Runs very big, and can be belted at the waist. Works fine sans tie.
- Pendleton Pendleton Port Townsend Rain Jacket | Nordstrom: A classic rain jacket that looks better on the body. It comes in bright mustard - VERY fun colour - and the lining is a warm earthy check. Might run a size big. Impeccable quality and very practical.
- Pendleton Pendleton Darby Coat | Nordstrom: A casual woolly coat with a plastic finish. Roomy fit and impeccable quality. Check out the lining - party on the inside.
- T Tahari Tahari Nicky Oversize Coat (Plus Size) | Nordstrom: Diagonal lines do magical things on the body, and the diagonal insets here are no exception. They create a visually streamlined effect that works on a range of body types. Might need to size down.
- Love Token Love Token Faux Suede Vest | Nordstrom: A lightweight vest that's chunky yet sufficiently streamlined. Soft and cosy. Looks good worn open and zipped up.
- Halogen Halogen Ribbed Cashmere Vest | Nordstrom: A vest that comes in one size but can be manipulated to fit smaller body types when the fronts are folded over to create a shawl collar. Nice texture.
- Derek Lam 10 Crosby Derek Lam 10 Crosby Double-Face Wool Moto Style Coat | Nordstrom: A moto coat in a rich shade of ink blue. Gently fluid with statement hardware. A flattering fit on a range of body types. Works on curvier and straighter body types. Can work on petites when the sleeves are shortened.
- Bernardo Bernardo Metallic Rain Jacket (Regular & Petite) | Nordstrom: Gorgeous copper-coloured raincoat with waist definition. Hangs well and looks quite chic. Comes in black. Best on a taller person, yet a few of my petite clients rocked it too.
- Topshop Topshop Lily Knit Back Midi Coat | Nordstrom: The photo does not do the coat justice. It fits and drapes better in person, and has tomato red trim under the collar and pocket flaps. Very lightweight and unlined. It worked well on both straighter and curvier body types. Great oversized fit. Topshop got it right! Read the rave reviews.
Here’s the collection page if you would like to see the items alongside my descriptions.
NAS Top Picks by Category
This post is number 2 in a 6 part series:
- Jackets, Coats & Vests (this post)
- Knitwear & Tops
- Skirts, Pants and Jeans
- Accessories, Lounge & Active Wear
Also check out my introduction to the series, and the items I brought home from the sale. Be sure to also browse wardrobe basics like underwear, socks, loungewear, sleepwear, or workout wear if you like to use the sale to replenish those types of items at this time of year. Also lots of fun stuff in homeware. Good hunting and happy NAS!