There are lots of good tops and knitwear at the sale. Most clients were after something other than “simple, oversized and shapeless”, which made items with contouring, ruffles, flounces and lace insets very appealing. There are LOTS of great colours, so browse through the options if the one I’ve selected is not to your fancy.
- Lafayette 148 New York 'Glenda' Mixed Media Blouse: Best ink blue tunic at the sale. Refined, chic and beautifully made. Looks great over a pencil skirt or trousers. Works well on a larger bust. Works on hourglasses but not pear shaped body types. Good on rectangles and inverted triangles too. Might need to size down.
- CeCe by Cynthia Steffe 'Bouquet' Floral Print Flutter Sleeve Blouse: Floral Flutter Fabness. This style of sleeve looks fresh to my eye, and the pattern is happy. Machine washable and fabulous on a curvy body type. Might need to size down.
- Pleione Sleeveless Asymmetrical Tunic: Best asymmetrical tunic at the NAS. The hem and drape are fabulous, and so are the plum and red colour options. Add a short topper to showcase the slanted back hem, or layer a maxi cardi over the top. Runs big.
- Vince Sleeveless Mesh Overlay Blouse: A very interesting sleeveless blouse that looks like fish scales. Rich, refined and luxurious. Good fit on apple shaped body types. Looks fab layered under a jacket or over a shirt.
- BP Stripe Ruffle Hem Shirt: A fun ruffled blouse to try at an affordable price. Love the shorter length.
- Joie 'Amatite B' V-Neck Print Silk Top: Refined Boho. One of the best blouses at the NAS. The colours and pattern are gorgeous. Dainty and pretty. Well made. Works well on broad shoulders. Might need to size down.
- Theory 'Helona' V-Neck Silk Blouse: A good career wear blouse to wear with black cropped pants, ankle strap pumps or booties, and a black jacket. Also fun with jeans and heels. Gorgeous colour. The V-neckline is low, so unless you wear a cami with it for work - don't get it.
- Halogen Sleeveless Tie Neck Blouse (Regular & Petite): A good blouse for apple shaped body types. Great layered under a cardi. Vibrant and happy.
- Sejour Stripe Three-Quarter Sleeve Tee (Plus Size): A flattering T-shirt that does not cling or hang like a sack. Great cut and nice curved hemline. Read the rave reviews.
- Halogen Textured Elbow Sleeve Tunic (Regular & Petite): A fabulous tunic for regulars and petites to wear with leggings. Works on a variety of body types. Fabric does not crease. Soft and cozy. Machine washable. Fun pockets.
- Vince Jersey Turtleneck: Best turtleneck at the sale and in a super soft fabrication. It has an architectural cut that you cannot see in the photo. Sublimely voluminous AND structured. Tapers back on to the hip. The neck is tightly tailored so consider yourself warned. Not good on a shorter neck. I wish this came in larger sizes as it does not run big like the brand usually does.
- Caslon Long Sleeve Slub Knit Tee (Regular & Petite): A great basic tee with a nice back seam. The darker colours look best. Not clingy.
- T Tahari 'Sheila' Drape Neck Sleeveless Top: A fab layering piece for under a jacket. Good drape and fit for curvier bodies. It's very long so good for long-waisted and tall ladies. Runs big.
- Fuzzi Diagonal Seam Tulle Turtleneck Top: Adorable T-neck that's great for very mild Fall weather. I love the fluted diagonal ruffles because they are flirty and different. It's very clingy and runs small, so you've been warned. But when it fits well, it's killer.
- Halogen Mock Neck Jacquard Sweatshirt (Regular & Petite): Baroque Retro Fabness. Comfy, forgiving on the midsection and different. Fab with burgundy or black jeans. Works quite well on a shorter neck. Size down.
- Halogen Colorblock Double Layer Sleeveless Top: A unique layering piece to wear under a black jacket or cardigan. No cami required. Petites look best in the high-contrast black and cream version because it looks visually shorter.
- Eileen Fisher Crewneck Long Sleeve Jersey Tee (Regular & Petite): An extremely good weighty and drapey long sleeved tee. The side slits make the tee look quite special. Nice neckline on all body types. Size down.
- Classiques Entier Ruffle Front V-Neck Stretch Silk Shell: Cream blouses that fit well and aren't see-through are hard to find, but this one fits the bill. GREAT with black and navy bottoms, and under a jacket. But gorgeous on its own too. Polished and professional.
See the items alongside my descriptions on the collection page.
- Halogen V-Neck Lightweight Merino Cardigan (Regular & Petite): These cardigans are great essentials. Versatile, flattering, streamlined and in a good weight. Lots of solid colours. Dress them up or down, and pop them over a sleeveless top. The polka dot was my favourite of the bunch. Leave them unbuttoned.
- Splendid Knit Poncho: Fab over a pair of light cropped pants with pearls. Very roomy. Great on petite apples with heels.
- Chelsea28 Ruffle Trim Cardigan: Adorable in both colours. Girly, romantic and different.
- Joie 'Raeka' Faux Fur Collar Cable Knit Cocoon Cardigan: Dramatic and fashion-forward. Oversized and very cozy. The faux fur is removable, but it makes the look so keep it on! It's interesting that my petite clients bought this one and are rocking it. You don't need to be tall to pull off the volume, but you DO need broad shoulders. Size down.
- Halogen Cashmere Dolman Sleeve Tunic Sweater: An easy pull-on-and-go that worked as well for petites as it did for tall clients. Nice shape and super soft. Runs big.
- Vince Side Zip Rib Knit Wool & Cashmere Turtleneck: Looks much better in person because the side zippers add lots of spunk. Not overly baggy. Works as well for petites as it did for regular clients. It was a little short for tall gals. The black is nicer than the grey.
- Halogen Merino Blend Long Cardigan: Best maxi cardigan at the sale. Very lightweight, refined and gauzy. Do not wear it over sleeves because it's too delicate. Perfect over a sleeveless top or dress (both flared and straight). It tapers at the hem in the very best way so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the length. Works well on petites. A pity that it only comes in black and grey.
- Ted Baker London 'Indiah' Print Front Crewneck Sweater: Pastel Floral Fabness. Dramatically dainty. A Summer knit to wear with white, blue denim or pink bottoms and white footwear. Size up a size.
- Halogen Lace Detail Crewneck Sweater (Regular & Petite): A fun piece to wear with black, white or blue denim bottoms. Alluring and different. The lace is NOT scratchy. Work appropriate too.
- Nordstrom Collection Chevron Cashmere Sweater: A swingy pullover that is slimming because of the self-colour chevron pattern. Size down. All the colours are nice. Beautiful quality.
- Nic + Zoe 'Speared' Print Lightweight Sweater: A streamlined and different jewel-toned pullover that's fab with black jeans or ankle pants. Nice shape.
- Trouvé Cold Shoulder Sweater: Cold Shoulder Fabness that runs long and a size big. Not good on apple shapes or petites. Great on straighter and curvier body types. Good length for long torsos. Great fit on the shoulders. Comes in a few colours. I bought the orange and LOVE it. Makes me feel alluring and hip.
- Free People Crossover Sweater: A fun top to wear with high-waisted culottes, harem pants, or jeans. Best on a straighter figure.
- Trouvé Side Slit Sweater: An easy pull-on-and-go pullover for skinnies. Best on a straighter bottom half. All the colours are nice.
- Eileen Fisher Ribbed Merino Bateau Neck Boxy Sweater (Regular & Petite): If you like blues and greens, TRY this colour. It's unique and wonderful, and fabulous with the matching and longer Eileen Fisher jacket for a modern twinset effect. Avant-garde and arty. It's cropped and looks amazing with culottes, flared cropped jeans and bootcut trousers. It's also great with a pencil skirt. Comes in black too. Size down a size.
- Theory 'Tolleree' Short Sleeve Cashmere Sweater: Simple Classic Chic. A luscious wardrobe essential that you can wear with just about anything. It feels luxurious. It's best on a slight frame with a smaller bust, long neck, narrow arms and narrow shoulders. Wear it tucked or untucked. The black is glorious with pearls. The green is lovely too. Beautiful quality.
- Vince Boat Neck Horizontal Rib Cashmere Sweater: Simple Modern Chic. The neckline is sublime. It has worked on many body types and on both large and small bust sizes. It can be worn out, semi-tucked or fully tucked. The fabric is rich. The cream is begging to be paired with pearls. Boxy fit but drapes well. Beautiful quality.
- Vince Jumbo Cashmere Hoodie: Sporty Luxe Fabness. Feels fabulous against the skin. You can layer a long sleeved T-shirt underneath. Size down.
- Halogen Asymmetrical Wool & Cashmere Sweater: A fab asymmetrical tunic for Team Tall. Does not work on pear shapes, and is best on a rectangular or inverted triangular frame. Can work on regular height gals too. Size down.
- Nic + Zoe 'Careen' High/Low Cardigan: An architectural cardigan with lots of spunk. The way it poufs out and flares from the waist down is a unique feature and not bad fit. Good on a long waist. Weighty fabric and great drape. Might need to size down.
- Nordstrom Collection Cashmere Waterfall Cardigan: A luxurious cardi that looks a lot better in person. It has a short back which adds structure to the voluminous front. Fabulous in motion. Works on many body types - from pear to inverted triangle. Size down. Beautiful quality.
- Rebecca Taylor Rib Knit Peplum Cardigan: A fun piece to wear over a dress, with a skirt or over cropped pants. It's short, so not good on a long torso. Runs small.
- Bobeau 'Yummy Fleece' Shawl Collar Cardigan: Cozy comfort with lots of shape and pockets. Fun piece, and waist-defining. Very, very casual.
- Halogen Lace Detail Crewneck Sweater (Regular & Petite): Best affordable sweater at the sale. Drapey, alluring, affordable and comfortable. Dress it up or down with all sorts of black bottoms. Can be worn with a regular black bra. No need for strapless.
- Chelsea28 Ruffle Hem Sweater: A very thin pullover that shan't keep you warm - think blouse weight - but it's super cute with the drapey front and back ruffle. Check out the back and side view. Nice shape. Gauzy and quite alluring. Might need to size down. All the colours are nice.
- Karen Kane Lace Inset Sweater: An interesting pullover to wear as is or under a black jacket. Flirty and romantic. A slam dunk with slim black pants, or bootcuts that are slim in the leg. It works on a range of body types. Nice and long.
See the items alongside my descriptions on the collection page.
Feel free to ask further questions in the comments section about these or other NAS items, and I’ll do my best to help you out. And please share your own winning purchases in the comments section too.
NAS Top Picks by Category
This is part of a five post series.
- Coats, Jackets and Vests
- Footwear and Accessories
- Tops and Knitwear (this post)
- Dresses and Dress Toppers
- Skirts, Pants and Jeans