Dresses with sleeves and ample length are in a perpetual shortage, and good fit is another challenge. That said, not all hope is lost. My clients have been purchasing dresses this year and here are some of the favourites.
- Tadashi Shoji Sleeveless Mesh Stripe Jersey Dress: If I needed a sleeveless black dress right now, this would be it. So, so, so romantic. I LOVE the flare and sheer panels. Perfectly alluring and covered at the same time. The fabric is thick and gorgeous. Wear a lacey black bra for acceptable bra strap coverage, or stick to a strapless bra. My client looked so much better than the model in this dress, and took my breath away.
- Tadashi Shoji Mesh Stripe Fit & Flare Dress: This is the sleeved version of the above dress. Thanks, Tadashi.
- Adrianna Papell V-Neck Shutter Pleat Sheath Dress: Gorgeous! Hides lumpage and bumpage, and isn’t too short. Fitted, yet not too body con. Comes in four colours and black.
- Adrianna Papell Print Asymmetrical Chiffon Dress: I much preferred this frock sans the belt, so size down and have a ball at the buffet table. Very forgiving, pretty neckline, and fab asymmetrical cut.
- Suzi Chin for Maggy Boutique Sleeveless Fit & Flare Dress: Hello Grecian Goddess. It looks best on those who can fill out the bust line. The front hangs a little low, but a lace insert does the trick. It moves gracefully and keeps you cool on a scorching day.
- Donna Morgan Print Jersey Shift Dress: Pull on and go with a pair of metallic flats or sandals. Easy.
- Eliza J Pleated Print Dress: A romantic tea length dress. Remember that you can swap out the bowed belt if that’s not your cup of tea.
- Maggy London Print Blouson Jersey Dress: Fab blouson dresses are hard to find because the fit is tricky. This one, although short, is quite flattering.
- Isaac Mizrahi Stripe Fit & Flare Dress: A classic Summer striped frock. Love the diagonal lines on the skirt.
- Suzi Chin Print Faux Wrap Dress: An abstract floral wrap that is begging for a curvy lass with a full bust to fill it out. Nice length too.
- Tahari Pleated Print Twill Dress: I love this dress. It’s pretty, practical, retro, and flared. I’d swap out the belt and wear it with pointy toe flats.
- Suzi Chin Print Sheath Dress: I’m not particularly fond of this type of grown-on sleeve, because I find a more cut away sleeveless bodice more flattering. But many of my clients do like a grown-on sleeve and this dress has a good fit. A happy Summer floral.
- Maggy London ‘Galaxy’ Print Sheath Dress: Here is the same cut in a galaxy print.
- Eliza J Side Three Quarter Sleeve Drape Jersey Dress: Imagine a black bomber jacket over this dress. Sensational.
- Eliza J Print Shift Dress: A sack dress that’s breezy and showcases your gams. I’d be all over it if it were a few inches longer.
Think denim jackets, motos, cropped blazers, bombers, vests and trench coats as layers over dresses if you’re after extra coverage. Cardigans are not your only option.