The superbowl of the entertainment industry was full of strapless and asymmetrical frocks, metallic accessories and old-Hollywood styled hair. I expected silver and gold dresses to shine through, but to my surprise tomato red, black and ink blue were the colours of the night.
My favourite dresses:
- Marion Cotillard was magnificent in an eccentric mermaid creation by Jean Paul Gaultier. It was a bold red carpet risk and it worked beautifully. Her eclectic long necklaces complemented her dress and her asymmetrical hairstyle was pure perfection. An ideal mixture of modern and retro Hollywood glamour and I loved it.
- Katherine Heigl was gorgeous in a fiery red, single-shoulder strapped dress. Her short curly hairdo was refreshing among the multitudes of cascading locks.
Other great looks:
- Amy Adams was pretty in a classic and safe strapless deep green gown. Her red ringlets and gold accessories made the outfit and I loved the contrast that was created against her dark green dress.
- Nicole Kidman was flawless at five months pregnant. She gets my vote for best necklace of the night.
- Cate Blanchett is usually my red carpet favourite, but I can’t say that this year’s Oscar dress was her best. That said, she did look radiant and ultra stylish at 7 months pregnant in a deep purple, bejeweled, halter-neck gown.
- Miley Cyrus represented young Hollywood in the best way. Her look was classy and age appropriate. Her earrings were fabulous and the bow at the back of her dress was suitably playful.
- Jennifer Garner, Penelope Cruz and Hillary Swank looked lovely in their strapless and off-the-shoulder black frocks. Nothing too exciting, but Oscar worthy all the same.
George Clooney wore his tux best and gets my vote for best hair of the night.
What were your favourite frocks?
Follow these thumbnails to see some of my favourites at InStyle and E! Online.