There is life after jeans for casual Mums and gals on the go who do not want to wear skirts and dresses. Choose casual pants. The formula below has been popular with my clients as we head into Autumn. So on that note, I stuck to a traditional Fall palette, but feel free to choose another set of colours.
Here are the components:
- Casual Pants: Stretchy black Ponte pants, or cotton spandex pants, are an easy and comfortable alternative to jeans. Camouflage pants aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I do have clients who love wearing them. Remember that camouflage pattern can be subtle, which might be a little more acceptable. Choose straight legs or skinnies.
- Relaxed Top: Jersey layering tops or lightweight knitwear are ideal. Wear them fluid or oversized to offset the tight bottoms. Drapey tops work well too. If you prefer a tailored look, wrap tops are fab, as are formfitting tees. Or pop on a button-down shirt.
- Casual Jacket: Denim jackets and leather or pleather motos are the obvious choice. But a pinstriped blazer is another option, and especially daring when pattern mixed with the camo pants.
- Closed Footwear: Pack away the sandals and haul out covered footwear. I’ve chosen pointy slipper flats and simple low heeled suede ankle boots. Sassy sneakers, d’Orsay flats, oxfords and Beatle booties are other options.
- Accessories: Finish off the outfit with a bag and eyewear. As a salute to Autumn, I chose a large weathered cognac tote. A hands-free crossbody is always great for Mums on the go. Add a scarf, watch and jewellery as desired. Throw in a beanie or newsboy too.
The ensembles here are the start of another casual Autumn mix-and-match capsule. The tops and toppers can be interchanged with the pants, and so can the shoes, eyewear, watch and bag. If you want to keep a very tight and small wardrobe for mild Fall weather, you could add another four tops, one more pair of bottoms, and two scarves and wear different combinations over and over again.